Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My breeder announced the dogs have been born. Two out of four puppies have a somatic gene mutation which causes a patch of black fur. This will be our family pet not show.

The Question is: Is anyone familiar with this mutation and does it pose a risk for poor health down the road?
(I found this on google: "Despite their non-hereditary nature, the risk of occurrence of a somatic mutation increases in the presence of other inheritable genetic factors and mutations. .......The most common disease caused by these mutations is cancer.")

Am I reading this correctly? It is very biologically complicated for a simpleton like me.
I have to commit to this puppy within a week and put down a deposit.
Please advise.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I'm replying mostly just to bump you up and hopefully someone with more knowledge of somatic mutation will reply. For what it's worth, I think Goldens with those black patches are cool and unique and I haven't so far read anything from a reliable source that links the black patches to other health issues. Can you maybe link where you read that they might be linked to other genetic mutations, such as cancer?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It's just a spot of black fur...I wouldn't worry too much. I bet they will be super cute!

·
Registered
323 Posts
No evidence that I have found (or that my vet or breeder has ever heard of) linking the black fur mutation with any disease (cancer). Our pup has a tiny black spot on his paw- which is why I looked into it.
Dog breed Wood Grey Working animal Fawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.