Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Apache Pilot
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what you think of soft vs hard dog food.

We have considered giving our 7 month old a little soft dog food mixed with his hard for a variety.

We are feeding him Innova LBP.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
We have given all of our dogs soft food mixed in with their kibble...only for breakfast though. We give them about 1/4 cup. They love it and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm...they're happy and healthy!!! We feed our dogs Horizon pet food.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Mine get alittle moist food in with their dry food everyday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 14 month old Golden has started to turn his nose up on breakfast.
We have had to put moist food in with his dry kibble to try to get him to eat it.
Trinian eats his evening meal with no trouble, but we alway mix in some human food to both our dogs food in the evenings. ( the other is a Yellow Labrador-9 years old.)
If Trini doesn't finish his breakfast, Sunny runs over and gulps it so we have to have watch time during meals.
We tried switching brands of dog food ( dry) with the same results.
THIS is the dog who ATE A ROCK.
I can't imagine that dry kibble would be more interesting than swallowing a 3 inch rock.
Yes, he healed up well from that episode. And the rocks are covered by 3 feet of snow by now. I still check the run to make sure he's pooping ok.
Anyone else have the picky eating problem??

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
The only one of my dogs who is a picky eater is the Chinese Crested, and she is that way because I let her get away with it :) by putting "extras" in her food.

The Goldens eat their dry food with great gusto and enthusiasm and would be very happy if I would just give them more ;)

A little soft food won't hurt, but it is not necessary. If I were going to do that, I would use a relatively decent canned or moist food, as the cheaper ones often contain the ingredients that can cause problems with some dogs, such as wheat, or too much sodium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts