Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

About 4 weeks ago, Finn (10 months) collided with another dog and began running funny with both back legs. He didn't seem in too much pain, his walk was mostly normal - the SLIGHTEST limp but mostly just looked "off." We were of course concerned about CCL or hips and took him in for x-rays. The vet and orthopedic surgeon both looked at the x-rays and said everything looked great with no signs of CCL or hip dysplasia (our two big concerns). Vet said it was most likely just a soft tissue injury like a sprain or strain. I was SO relieved! Vet recommended two weeks of restricted activity.

However, it's now been 3 weeks of restricted activity and Finn is not any better. His walk is still "off" and when we let him run a few steps after the two weeks of rest his run was still the same as post collision. He also is a a bit "cracky" when he walks. Almost like when humans joints crack - same sound. What are your thoughts around this? How long do soft tissue injuries take to heal? It's the cracking noises that concern me - I don't know if this is normal or not and can't remember if I ever noticed them beforehand. I know I should trust the vet who said the x-rays look fine, but I can't help but feel like he should be at least a little better after 3 weeks of no running or exercise? I am not an expert by any means, so would love any thoughts or experiences you have!

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Ligament injury in the knee won't show up on xray. I'd have him checked again with the ortho vet. More xrays too though because maybe the first angles hid something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses! We have had his knees examined twice by our regular vet and once by an orthopedic surgeon who both did physical exam and also looked at x-rays. They insist his knees are sound. I questioned them several times about it and they keep going back to soft tissue.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Get a CT Scan. I went through 5 or 6 sets of x-rays when our now 2 year old was between 7-9 months old. We did crate rest and went back and forth on diagnosis from soft tissue to elbows. It turned out to be fractured sesamoid bones in his feet. They web in between the ligaments and nerves in the feet. We did a CT Scan of everything from the shoulder down on both legs so we could compare. He went through an extensive rehab program and is doing well. I had the best luck at a sports medicine orthopedic hospital, wish I would have gone there sooner. If you think something’s wrong it probably is. Our guy was in pain and it was so hard to just watch and wait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts