Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I searched through the forums and couldn't really find anyone with a problem that was the same as mine (similar yes but not the same) so I'm hoping I can post and get some help

I feed Remy Orijen Large Breed Puppy food and he really loves it. He is strong, healthy and his coat looks great. During his morning walk he usually has a very solid (very large) poop and is fine. In the afternoon and evening however he has frequent poos that are often very soft. I have noticed that he also poops, then moves to a new spot a few feet away to finish up (and he seems to be straining). He doesn't seem to be in any distress though.

There are a couple of factors that I wonder if they are contributing to this.
- The fact that he only eats his food at night when I am home (he often ignores his food during the day).
- Could it be the treats that I am giving him? I sometimes give him liver treats for training purposes
- There is a security guard in my building that sometimes gives him dog biscuits (not the good kind i think) but that's only 2 days a week. Could that affect his stool for the entire week?

I will be taking him to the vet but the last time they didn't find anything so if anyone has experienced something like this any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I'm pretty much a novice, but I do think the liver treats could be giving him soft stool. I give my pups kibble plus home made meats and whenever I gave liver....soft stool came along, so I changed to hearts instead. Try elimating the liver and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I agree with eliminating all treats to try to identify the problem. How old is your puppy and how much are you feeding him?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's almost 7 months old and I feed him 3 cups a day (the recommended amount is 3 - 3 1/2 cups)

I'm going to try eliminating the treats for a week and see if it improves... it's a small problem as he seems to be totally healthy otherwise but i would love for it to improve... obviously ;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I hope eliminating the treats works. If not, you might try cutting back on the quantity of the Orijen Lg Breed Puppy by just 1/4 cup per day. Sometimes feeding even just a little bit more than needed can result in loose stools. I fed my 2 yr. old lab Orijen Lg Breed Puppy until 7 months when I switched to Orijen Adult. I know her appetite started leveling off about 7-8 months of age. When I feed Orijen Adult as part of my kibble rotation to my lab (55 lbs.) and my senior golden Bentley (65 lbs.), they both get about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups a day depending on their activity level.

·
Steve & Snoopy
287 Posts
If you're overly worried, ask the vet to X-ray him to make sure nothings up with the intestine.
Other than that, my vet talked to me about her dog which did the same thing as yours and mine - it boiled down to allergies. She tried a bunch of foods & finally hit on one that cleared the problem up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts