Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Socialization should begin immediately when the puppy arrives home. :) You want to expose your pup to anything and everything that they may come into contact with during their entire life. Of course you want to use good judgement and follow a plan that will keep the pup safe and healthy. All exposure needs to be positive, not neutral or scary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's a lot of opinions on socialization... I tend to side with Monique (The Naughty Dogge). Socialization CAN be overdone and IS by many people.

Picture, if you will... the dogs that drag their owner to every dog they see. The dogs that jump on people. The dogs that focus on people/dogs/etc to the exclusion of the person on the other end of the leash. Those things can be trained into a pup by owners who think their puppy should meet everyone/everydog they come across. You can easily teach a pup that he is entitled to do this as he moves through life.

I would much, much rather my dogs are confident and friendly when they need to meet new dogs, but ignore them unless specifically invited to meet.

Those of you who have multiple dogs... you HAVE a pack. Your puppy does. not. need. to meet everyone else's dog in order to learn how to interact with other canines. You already have what you need.

For instance... my 12 month old had NEVER met another dog but my three until I sent her to a field trial pro for training. He said she hung back in the yard for a couple days when turned out with other pups her age, and then warmed up and never looked back. When she comes home in October she will again not play with any dogs but mine.

I don't understand the dog-owning-culture's obsession with their dogs needing to play with everyone else's dog. I get warm fuzzy feelings when my dogs want to be with ME. When I'm the center of their world. When I'm more fun to be with than every other stranger and every visiting dog. Not when they want to visit with someone else.

Take your new pup lots of places, yes - but don't overdo meeting people and dogs to the detriment of your relationship with your canine partner. JMO.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts