Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I don't care a whole lot- simply because it is how it is.
What I AM curious about though- that second IP?
For me to know, and not applicable to my OP; or posted links as FYIs for others that have interest in protecting themselves as much as they can.

I don't make a habit of broadcasting my own security for obvious reasons, and what I did post is not my current setup (for years).

Words to the wise..
No matter what we do, the bad guys are usually well in front of our efforts.

People can either study and make their own decisions, or pay someone else to do so..or get hacked.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Each computer has it's own signature :) So does each cell phone, tablet or any electronic that connects through a router. Even land lines have a 2nd signal that's traceable. Maw Bell ran a dual system long before as they dropped the analog and went digital. There is no privacy in the digital world, only the illusion.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Each computer has it's own signature :) So does each cell phone, tablet or any electronic that connects through a router. Even land lines have a 2nd signal that's traceable. Maw Bell ran a dual system long before as they dropped the analog and went digital. There is no privacy in the digital world, only the illusion.
LOL, IP spoofing and Telephone number spoofing killed that a long time ago.

ANY calls that come into my cell are either wrong numbers or spam..NO ONE has that number and the phone is only carried in case of an emergency. My land line is VOIP which is not quite as easy to play around with. Any spam calls are handled by a CPR Call Blocker. Nothing is ever perfect, but better to try than not to try.
Complacency is an open invitation that I prefer not to send out.

This PC is on 24x7; fully backed up; and covered by both malware and anti virus protection (not Norton which hasn't been an event on home computers since the departure of Peter Norton years ago). That is spam and tracking software in itself, and imo should be avoided. It also carries more than acceptable bloatware as does McCafee, and most of the stuff sold online and in the store (what I use is again for me to know)

In other words, if anything gets thru my HARDWARE firewall..it is contained and eliminated, before being able to cause any trouble. I have seen a few DNS attacks in my firewall log, but nothing has gotten thru so far.

Watch and update your wifi router's firmware since it is a very common point of entry.

Just think free information for all.....take it or leave it, what ever works for anyone reading this thread (wow, 3 pages to browse thru already)..:grin2:

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,512 Posts

No free VPN is safe. They take and store your browsing data and history and then sell it. That is why it is free. No point in using a VPN if the reason you are using one it made pointless if that data is just sold anyway.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,512 Posts
Maggie that is very true. There are a ton of products out there but honestly your PC has so many hidden files that store info. and most of them cannot be accessed or even seen by the user. We leave a trail no matter how many precautions we take, it's just fact to be aware of. Privacy can only exist if you don't have any sort of internet connection at all and where would the fun in that be :)

Actually that isn't true puddles. This is what I do for a living. Data Migration and intranet firewall security for a major national bank. The hidden files you speak of take 1 click to make them viewable as well. 90% of hidden files aren't secure information but important .dll files so you don't corrupt programs by accidentally deleting them.getting a good VPN, not the free crap or cheap lifetime subscriptions, and they will protect the average user with the inline banking and such.

The average person don't know how to protect themselves but if you really wanted to googling how and doing isn't very hard, it's just most people get intimidated.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Since I tried to create a thread to warn people of privacy problems and SM. I imagine that this forum would not ever do such things, as the article suggests.

Here is some more information concerning Facebook and others!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE

Sign InJoin

https://turbofuture.com/internet/personal-internet-privacy-concerns#https://turbofuture.com/internet/personal-internet-privacy-concerns#https://turbofuture.com/internet/personal-internet-privacy-concerns#16

How Facebook and Other Internet Companies Are Spying on You

Updated on April 20, 2019

Glenn Stok more

Glenn is a systems analyst with a Master’s Degree in Computer Science. He teaches Internet related topics based on his professional insight.

In their earnings report on January 30, 2019, Facebook reported that daily active users in the U.S. and Canada remained steady at 1.52 billion over the last 18 months. That’s no surprise, because people are becoming aware of privacy issues.
In Europe, however, Facebook added 6 million active users. Europe has strict laws that help online users become more aware when they are being tracked. It’s called the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).1 Their privacy is still up for grabs, but at least they know it. So what about you?

Source
Your Identity Is for Sale

Your identity is for sale! Are you giving it away? You are a product and Facebook, Google, and Netflix are all making money from your activities. What are you getting in return?
I was 34 when Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s CEO, was born on May 14th, 1984. I never would have imagined that this newborn who came into the world not far from me (he was born in White Plains, NY) would grow up and become so powerful an influence over the web, the media, and the news, with online content being consumed by the masses.
Those people are only now beginning to realize that they are being exploited by the platform Zuckerberg created to harvest the data about their lives for the sole purpose of increasing ad revenue. Are you one of the masses? I am, and I know what I’m giving away.

Facebook’s Privacy Terms of Service

Personally, I can’t blame Zuckerberg. He had been honest about Facebook’s use of personal information. The terms of service were clearly stated—limiting user’s rights. But most people never read those lengthy terms.
Now users are being alerted about what they overlooked or ignored, and most people don’t like what they are discovering—about how little privacy protection they actually have. Even worse, people are discovering that they can’t easily delete their Facebook account because they made connections between Facebook and the other websites.2

Using Facebook to Log In to Other Accounts Bypasses Security

Most web services give you the option to log in with Facebook or to create your own login with your email and password. It's best to avoid using Facebook to log into other services since that locks you in with an active Facebook account that is very difficult to undo later.
If you used Facebook to create other account logins with other services, you need to disconnect that access if you ever want to cancel your Facebook account. Any activity on those other sites will cause your Facebook account to remain active when you try to delete it.
Even if you don’t intend to cancel your Facebook account, they can monitor all your activity on those sites. It’s best to remove permission from Facebook to log into those accounts. Create a separate login with your email and a password used only for each site. This will also protect your privacy with the activity you do on those sites.
You can find all the connections you created by going to your settings page on your Facebook account and clicking “Apps and Websites” for a listing of all the sites you gave Facebook permission to access.
Apps that you may have connected need to be removed too. Remember that Facebook will be able to watch everything you do with those apps. You gave them the access by connecting them.

Facebook’s Transparency, Choice, and Control

In an op-ed by Mark Zuckerberg in the WSJ on Jan. 24, 2019, he claims that they need your information for operation and security, but you control whether they use it for advertising.3
While I can understand why this is true because they need to determine who is fake and who is dangerous, it remains that they capture a lot of knowledge about you. That information about everything you do, everything you love, everything you enjoy and dislike, is worth a fortune! That's why Facebook wants it. And they are not alone, as I'll discuss in a moment.
In another WSJ article a day later, Mark Zuckerberg was quoted as saying “Ultimately, I believe the most important principles around data are transparency, Choice and control.”
He went on to say that they don’t sell people's data even though it’s often reported that they do.
I think I can believe that part of it. They don’t outright sell data about your interests, but they do use it to sell advertising space with ads related to your interest. That information about you demands a higher fee for the ad space.
What do you get for it? Nothing. No compensation. No sharing of the profits. All you do get is an influx of ads about items you are presently searching for, or have talked about with your friends via email or on social media.

Mark Zuckerberg April 2018 Keynote | Source
Choice and control has been an option in Facebook for many years now. You can choose to allow, or not allow, other people to see your likes, your friends, your posts, and so on. All this can be enabled or disabled in the settings page under privacy.
However, as far as I can tell, all your data is still used to sell advertising, even if you don’t share your data with other viewers. This is the price you pay for using Facebook. This is what you agreed to when you opened your account, if you had read the terms or not.

Google and Netflix do the same thing. Even the National Security Agency has dug for your private affairs. And China has been doing cyber attacks for years to find useful information about Americans.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No free VPN is safe. They take and store your browsing data and history and then sell it. That is why it is free. No point in using a VPN if the reason you are using one it made pointless if that data is just sold anyway.

Gotta a Link for that?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Let's continue with the spying disclosures.

Many of those apps you get for your phone are really spyware. Sometime international spyware too.
Even Apple misses the plants sometimes..Android is a total free for all!

Less is more with any 3rd party app(s)..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
While on the subject; Windoze still contains a completely outdated item known as the the "registry". The registry is the area in Windoze that basically directs traffic on a PC (explanation is for simplicity's sake). It is also wide open to attack, and has been around since the inception of W95 (If I remember correctly). WinNT didn't have a registry and was the business choice.

In any case, Microsoft has refused to create a secure OS, and their forced updates on W10 don't help. They continue to remove items that could be used by most users and simply dumb down your computer. (like Task Manager). I am not thrilled with Apple either (I also own an Imac with OS X on it.); But least Apple allows you to accept or reject an update..UNLESS you choose their recommended option of allowing automatic updates; then you have zero control. Microsoft does not permit this, and each time they "update"; it takes eons to correct what they have done. The latest is their new fall update that completely messes up sound control. Some sounds are loud, while other can barely be heard. Not critical, but a pain to deal with. That update is imperative, since admittedly without it, there is a major security risk.

Apple OSX is built around Unix (Darwin) which is a much more secure OS than Windoze. The problem is that most companies use Windoze over Apple, and one needs a Win. machine to survive. (emulation is way too inefficient)

If one is savvy, he/she could use a registry cleaning tool, (and a malware/virus checker ), ONLY to point out where problems are. Then use the built in windoze registry editor (regedit) to make changes.

Caution: I do not suggest using such a tool in automatic mode.. This is like brain surgery on a computer, and removing something critical will result in a BSOD! If you are not 100% positive..DON"T do anything. A backup is imperative before attempting registry repairs.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,512 Posts
Gotta a Link for that?
Jesus what the hell is wrong with you? No one can give you advice without you looking at them side eye. Are you this untrusting with everything in life? You must be very lonely.

This is what I do. It's people like you who are a danger to themselves. People try to educate you and help you and this is how your act. No everyone has time to go dig up some link for everything they comment about. I hope you just get some help. And you sounding off on info trying to help people are going to get some in trouble so you shouldn't be talking about things you really don't know anything about. Ever hear the term "know just enough to be dangerous"?

Here take a look. BTW, again, there's a reason some VPNs are free, selling your data is how they make money.

https://thebestvpn.com/how-free-vpns-sell-your-data/

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Jesus what the hell is wrong with you? No one can give you advice without you looking at them side eye. Are you this untrusting with everything in life? You must be very lonely.

This is what I do. It's people like you who are a danger to themselves. People try to educate you and help you and this is how your act. No everyone has time to go dig up some link for everything they comment about. I hope you just get some help. And you sounding off on info trying to help people are going to get some in trouble so you shouldn't be talking about things you really don't know anything about. Ever hear the term "know just enough to be dangerous"?

Here take a look. BTW, again, there's a reason some VPNs are free, selling your data is how they make money.

https://thebestvpn.com/how-free-vpns-sell-your-data/
Thanx for the link, and I never asked for any help.

I simply asked for a link, and didn't expect such an emotional response. Sorry if you were offended, by the question, but I was looking for confirmation of what I thought was an opinion; from another source.

They do not mention Windscribe or Tunnel Bear, (the 2 I mentioned) but just said "many" which is not specific. (from your link). Key word is MANY. I posted a link to reviews of those products that I said seemed positive, nothing more, since admittedly I do not know if they began to sell information. They also sell monthly plans and not "lifetime" plans. What makes a paid service any more trust worthy than a Free (limited) service anyway?

"1. Many free VPN services are not transparent about how they make money from you using their services; in most cases, when you’re not being sold a product you are most likely the product."

It is not my intention to turn this into a back and forth as has been requested; but just an exchange of verifiable information.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,512 Posts
Windscribe isn't free unless you only use 10gb or less a month or it's $9 a month. There average home uses 10gb on a home internet computer every 3 or 4 days.

Stop with the garbage, NOT a free vpn technically.

Can't help people who refuse. My hands are washed man.

From there FAQ...

"How much does Windscribe cost? If you are a light user, you can use Windscribe for free. You get up to 10GB of data per month, and you can use all of the tools we offer. If you need more data, for just $9/month you get unlimited usage."

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Windscribe isn't free unless you only use 10gb or less a month or it's $9 a month. There average home uses 10gb on a home internet computer every 3 or 4 days.

Stop with the garbage, NOT a free vpn technically.

Can't help people who refuse. My hands are washed man.

From there FAQ...

"How much does Windscribe cost? If you are a light user, you can use Windscribe for free. You get up to 10GB of data per month, and you can use all of the tools we offer. If you need more data, for just $9/month you get unlimited usage."

I didn't hurl insults at you, or try to demean you; and I never asked you for any help.

In this case, I chose to believe the vendor, over an opinion. (my choice) Their cost is something that was brought up in my earlier posts, as was the free limited service. I went out of my way to initiate a chat with them; that took only a few moments of my time, which I posted a screen grab of for all to see.

·
Debbie624
334 Posts
this all seems to be good info but unfortunately, I am not tech-savvy and most of what you all are discussing is greek to me. I use a Chromebook which my understanding has built-in security making it a safer choice than PCs. Privacy is a concern we all have but wondering if the info you all are talking about are as much of an issue with Chromebooks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
this all seems to be good info but unfortunately, I am not tech-savvy and most of what you all are discussing is greek to me. I use a Chromebook which my understanding has built-in security making it a safer choice than PCs. Privacy is a concern we all have but wondering if the info you all are talking about are as much of an issue with Chromebooks.
@debbie624
Unfortunately many security holes exist in Chromebook's OS as well (Operating System). The information that I presented is specific to each platform mentioned. They all have problems..some more and some less.

The easy answer for those not computer savvy, is to not put or communicate anything of a sensitive nature with/on their computers and phones, and to keep their computers and networks up to date. I referred to old skool sneakernet. That was the way people moved data around in the "old" days. They copied data to floppy disks and took them over to another computer..nerds wore sneakers..thus the term.
Knowledge is your best defense, as are up to date Operating Systems, Anti virus software and anti malware software.!

I am lucky to have grown up in the beginning of the computer age. I began my progression this way:
Commodore Vic20>Commodore 64> Commodore PET> Kaypro CPM lugable ((a heavy portable) win95beta tester>AT&T Windoze Machine> followed by building my own PCs from scratch.

Sorry to toot my own horn..just presenting my personal experience to try and clarify a few things.

Chromebook OS is based on Android; which unfortunately is an easy target, for the crooks and hackers around the globe.

Here is a list of KNOWN Chromebook's security flaws. It is unfortunate, but the more popular the OS, the more crooks will try to hack it. Hope this helps a bit.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1224/product_id-20320/Google-Chrome-Os.html

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,512 Posts
Debbie overall it is safer as Google gives monthly security updates to both their OS's Android and chrome. No Is it's totally safe either.

Jeff, I didn't say you asked for my help, I'm just trying to save people from your dangerous misinformation that you're putting it there pertaining to online security/privacy. You're not qualified and the information is going to leave a false sense of security for people. Enough said.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.