1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,340 Posts
You leave a digital footprint every time you get online, it's a record of ALL your online activity, websites you visit, comments you make on them, your online shopping, the searches you do, emails you send. This also includes your activity on your phone and tablets, not just computers.

You leave a digital footprint when you post here on the Forum.......

Here is more info about the digital footprint you leave behind-

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-privacy-clean-up-online-digital-footprint.html

This article is good too-

https://www.rasmussen.edu/student-experience/college-life/what-is-digital-footprint/

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You leave a digital footprint every time you get online, it's a record of ALL your online activity, websites you visit, comments you make on them, your online shopping, the searches you do. This also includes your activity on your phone and tablets, not just computers.

You leave a digital footprint when you post here on the Forum.......

Here is more info about the digital footprint you leave behind-

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-privacy-clean-up-online-digital-footprint.html[/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a savvy computer user, the foot print that is left contains only that data that you want to leave.( I have multiple PCs, myself. Some are used in public settings and some are not)
I don't bother with one, but a simple VPN makes it easy to be somewhere else, and posting as a different entity electronically.

I don't and never have tempted fate and never will intentionally. Staying away from Social Media is a personal choice for all.

·
Puddles
3,504 Posts
LOL I'm not questioning the choice of social media or digital footprint. What I'm saying is GRF is social media. No it's not FaceBook but it is social media regardless of the precautions you take... you ARE part of social media and do leave a digital trail no matter how many identities or electronic devices you use. So welcome to SOCIAL MEDIA on the GRF

·
Puddles
3,504 Posts
You are missing what Carolina Mom and I are saying.... has NOTHING to do with the article.

"I, personally have never belonged to any social media; and after watching this, am happy of my choice!
VERY Important to watch..I kid you not"

We are trying to tell you is that YOU don't seem to understand that the GRF is social media. Because of your statement we are trying to tell you that if you choose to avoid social media ... joining the GRF contradicts your choice to avoid it.

Do whatever you want, no one here cares what your choice is.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are missing what Carolina Mom and I are saying.... has NOTHING to do with the article.

"I, personally have never belonged to any social media; and after watching this, am happy of my choice!
VERY Important to watch..I kid you not"

We are trying to tell you is that YOU don't seem to understand that the GRF is social media. Because of your statement we are trying to tell you that if you choose to avoid social media ... joining the GRF contradicts your choice to avoid it.

Do whatever you want, no one here cares what your choice is.

Why is the posting of information that might be of use to other people, attacked, and always by the same people? I offer links to substantiate a point, and all that I said was that I thought it was important to watch.

I use a PC on public sites and another completely different OS not on the net, to do sensitive work.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I assume anything I put on the Internet is not private. I private message via messenger with my sister on Facebook. We laugh about the day everything we've said comes out. ?

·
Puddles
3,504 Posts
I'm not attacking the information you shared! It's good info. I'm not attacking anything, simply trying to help you understand that you are participating in social media every time you log on to the GRF. Participate or not makes no difference to anyone but understanding that you are a part of social media by doing so seems to escape you.

I give up, enjoy your social media on the GRF.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For anyone wishing to begin to protect themselves on a PC.

Here is a FREE cookie manager to take control of what is stored on your computers. You can delete all or selected cookies at will.

It will not handle a Super Cookie which is harder to control but there are tools around for that too.

I believe that it is available for most current browsers on Windows platforms, but a search is advised.
This is their FF link.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookie-quick-manager/

EDIT: And the link to a FREE Adobe Super Cookie manager to get rid of that spyware. Windoze platforms)

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,620 Posts
The fact that today, anyone that needs a lecture on scam phone calls and emails trying to get you're information is laughable. If you need to be told this then you live under a rock.

I do no social media like fb, Snapchat, Instagram Twitter. None of that intetsts me and it's all about people trying to bring other people down. Plus, for no real reason employers use it to fire or reprimand employees. People say and do stupid things all the time and those places are just there to capture it all.

It's very easy to leave very little footprint online. There are things like VPNs that hide your location and identity and certain ones don't see that browsing history. It's why some are $80 a year and some are $29 lifetime access (these sell you info so these VPNs are worthless)

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Puddles
3,504 Posts
Maggie that is very true. There are a ton of products out there but honestly your PC has so many hidden files that store info. and most of them cannot be accessed or even seen by the user. We leave a trail no matter how many precautions we take, it's just fact to be aware of. Privacy can only exist if you don't have any sort of internet connection at all and where would the fun in that be :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So as not to divert from the original intention of my posting(s); All the more reason to to use a separate device for ANY online stuff....as I said above!

Problem(s) over.

The information and links that I provided above, were for any one that does not have that option.(or that of using a different OS that is not as easy as Windoze to back door.

Edit:
You can also help to LIMIT Apple and/or Microsoft's activities by turning off Seri and Cortana that track your every move. I didn't say stop, but LIMIT; which is step one.

I have no motive here just presenting something for thought.
Any attempt at stopping people from exploring alternatives is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Educate me- I dk how all that works, don't really care a whole lot, but I am curious- is the ISP the same for both your machines? Or does each machine get it's own?
I figure if I take a pic of a fridge @ HD and come home and FB has ads for every fridge in the world, they are watching. So it just is.
And fwiw- imo GRF is social media. As you are socially 'chitchatting' here.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Educate me- I dk how all that works, don't really care a whole lot, but I am curious- is the ISP the same for both your machines? Or does each machine get it's own?
I figure if I take a pic of a fridge @ HD and come home and FB has ads for every fridge in the world, they are watching. So it just is.

Sorry..Not my job; especially since you have indicated that you don't care a whole lot^^^

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Oh ok, here's a hint:

google old skool "sneaker net" to start; if you truly wanted an answer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.