Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do you soak your dry kibble before feeding?

• yes - soak in water before feeding

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • no - do not soak before feeding

Votes: 39 54.2%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you soak your dogs dry kibble in water before feeding? Why or why not?

I am soaking Sandy's food because thats what my parents did with our dogs when I was growing up, it was supposed to stop the food from swelling in their stomach after eating and also help prevent bloat. Not sure if thats true or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,320 Posts
I soak Asia's food because she is such a fast eater and inhales the dry kibble and the soaking slows her down and prevents her choking on it.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
We don't soak it but we do pour alittle water on the food . Sasha seems to choke if we don't, he eats so fast.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
No, I think the crunchy kibble helps to keep teeth clean, plus I don't think Sadie would eat it if it was soaked in water.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We've put a little water to make "gravy" since we got Maddie. So now, just habit I guess. We'll be gradually changing over to a raw diet soon.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
We use a little water in the dry food for Connor and Duke - gives the kibble a little lubrication for easier swallowing.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
With previous dogs that we raised from puppyhood, we always wet the food.

Ben was adopted as an adult. When we brought him home, I wet his food the first couple of days and he wouldn't eat it. If we gave it to him dry, he would. Since I read that dry food is better for their teeth, we give him dry.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I only soak food for puppies under 2 months olds. The dry food is better for their teeth, helps keep them clean.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
Correction from my earlier post. I just went on the BB website (we feed wilderness salmon) and it actually had directions for mixing it with water to "maximize flavor." I swear though, unless I'm making things up in my head, that I've read before on the bag not to because of the life bits or something. Maybe we'll have to try it sometime! :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Genetics are a big part with clean teeth. Mine eat their dry food with water on it.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I pour some water over the food, it's not softening the food because they get fed right away. It keep the dogs from chocking from eating too fast.
I don't use canned food for them.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Like others we add a small amount of water and a spoonful of canned & stir to get a gravy but feed immediately, so kibble is still hard. Dogs love the gravey.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't "soak" kibble in water but I do add a mixture of warm water/salmon juice/wild salmon in with the kibble. To me, it's more appealing and that's about the only reason why! (I didn't vote because I didn't fit in for either choice)

·
Mr. Fancy Pants and Roo
1,102 Posts
I put a touch of water on Dex's kibble just to soften it a little for him, he still has his puppy teeth and finds it hard to eat. Once he's older and can crunch it easily I'll stop.

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
I have always soaked my dog's food with hot water until "en dente" at least prior to feeding them. I do this to prevent the food expanding in the stomach after ingesting. So far, so good. I clean my dog's teeth as well.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I haven't been able to make up my mind on this topic!!!:confused::confused:

Sammie my first golden was always given dry kibble and she loved it. I was always under the impression it would help clean her teeth. Bloat was never even a consideration for me back then. Never had a problem.:D

Now Woody on the other hand I go back and forth from wet to dry and dry to wet...My experience has been all dogs throw up from time to time for what ever reason? Of course when ever he does throw up I always have a look see to make sure one of my shoes isn't in there. ;)

What I have noticed is the kibble is about 5 times the size it was before being swallowed :uhoh: and although he gets only 1 & 1/2 cups at a time it looks like half a bag!!!

I don't know how the heck his stomach handles this swelling? And then there's the concern of BLOAT which I've read so much about on this board. Is it really that much of a concern???

I talked with my vet,whom I like very much, and he said don't worry about it, you know the symptoms and some dogs are more prone to it than others.

Well it's almost time to feed old Woody and I'm still scratching my head on whether or not to wet his food?

Woody could care less, wet or dry, he just wants his bowl on the floor and the big OKAY to eat his food!!!:D

Put me down for UNDECIDED!!!

Pete

1 - 20 of 31 Posts