Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching TouTube videos being very impressed with a bunch of dogs. I am following links and suddenly it occurs to me...

Where can I find some trials with quiet environments? I like them!! I can hear the cues but no background racket. My shows always seem to be crowded, near train stations etc. Blowers going, dogs barking, doors crashing. I like those videos - anyone know of shows in the Northeast this nice ?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
can't help you with your area, but come down here and I'll bring you to some! Conner was such a worry wart that I generally avoided shows that I knew had too much commotion. There were very few shows I would sign up for where obedience was in the same room as conformation.

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
We have some quiet obedience only shows up here in MN. I was at one a couple of months ago, and Novice, and open were doing stays at the same time, and I could hear the clock tick from across the ring.

Reactions: Sunrise

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sheesh - okay, officially jealous here LOL Sometimes around here our dogs can't hear our cues so we need to switch to signals.........in novice.

ETA: But then again, tick-tock, tick-tock while doing the Novice Sit Stay; that must have seemed to be a loooong minute!

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Sheesh - okay, officially jealous here LOL Sometimes around here our dogs can't hear our cues so we need to switch to signals.........in novice.

ETA: But then again, tick-tock, tick-tock while doing the Novice Sit Stay; that must have seemed to be a loooong minute!

It was a long stay! We all know how long Novice stays seem and it was worse than that!

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
In our area, even obedience only shows can be very busy with lots of background noise. there is a small show every april in a small town about 2 1/2 hours north of Ottawa (Petawawa). the show is in the small gathering room above an arena. Although there is conformation in the arena, you can't hear or see them without going downstairs. the show begins on a friday, and it is just dead on the first day. it is just like a practice session!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sunrise I am with you! Just last weekend when I found the other show filled up, was looking for someplace that isn't total chaos or outdoors.
I searched some smaller venues (as opposed to XL Center or Big E) but no luck finding the classes I want.
There was one in Manchester in spring you may want to look at. I've only been to matches there, wouldn't call it quiet, but it was quieter than the arenas.
I suspect if we wanted to drive out to the fringes of surrounding states we might have more options, but I'm too tethered to my commute and desk to want to drive 4+ hours on the weekends.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
How far are you willing to go? In April, Casco Bay Dog training usually has a two day indoor show obedience only. And in September, Saccarrapa has a two day indoor obedience only trial.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Years ago, I went to the Master Peace shows in Franklin, Mass, but they were very crowded...not enough space.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Faelan finished his CDX at Master Peace. I doubt I will go back - it was small, crowded and right by a train station :) Plus the parking situation was not good - liked the judge though :)

I am considering the ME shows - it will depend on whether Towhee is in season or not. If she is, I will only have 2 dogs in a hotel room which just seems more manageable ...

Years ago, I went to the Master Peace shows in Franklin, Mass, but they were very crowded...not enough space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts