Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, I am losing my patience. Koda has become so stubborn it is getting old. When we go outside we take her out on a leash because we save the tie out for play time and she knows that. She loves to be outside and when I have time I have no problem sitting outside with her for a while but I dont always have that time. I know she doesn't know this but she still needs to listen better.

When it is time to come inside she literally puts the brakes on and we battle. She will sometimes plop down and completely ignore me...if I try to prop her up she rolls to her side or back to make herself like dead weight. Sometimes she just sits and protests and I end up pulling the leash to get her to come with me.

I know she likes to be outside but she needs to know that she has to come in when I say to come in and she won't. She is soooo stubborn. Right now I have been acting like we will walk the other direction to get her standing and then just pull the leash to the door..this is not effective.

I have tried treats, maybe i need higher value...but not much works. Only thing she will run to the door for is "Wanna go for a ride" or "Wanna get the mail"...that is it!

Anyone else go through this or have suggestions...?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
One thing I do which I think helps is to give a high value treat after Cookie comes inside. Act like coming inside is a really great thing, and after some time Koda should get the idea.

Cookie used to do something like this when she was really small too. :doh:

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think we let it go on too long...she isn't so small anymore so it is much more of a chore to get her in LOL

·
Registered
270 Posts
a higher value treat once she is inside is a great idea! Casey does like to be stubborn, but normally i have to drag him outside...idk...brace yourself and haul really hard? I have never really let him get away with dragging his little butt in the snow, so that makes it a little easier, but maybe until she learns you aren't going to let her get away with it, then it'll be easier? and then with the reward when she comes in, she might get used to coming in w/o a fight.
Good luck to you both!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Jige will do this at night. He loves to be outside when it is dark out not sure why maybe because I got him in the summer and when I came home from work it was evening and I would sit outside with him. He would play and I watched the bats. So now it is a chore to get him in side at night. I have taken to taking his Frisbee out with me. I let him walk around and do his business then when I am ready to come in I play alittle game with him after 3-4 throws about 3minutes I say lets go in and he carries his Frisbee to the door. It is working rather well.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
It is the same with Darby except she has improved greatly with the "crouton" closet. I threw her one of those flavored croutons one day and she loved it. I took one out with me and when ready to come I held it to her nose to lead her back to the pantry closet. I made her sit and called it a crouton. It was not long before she figured out that when I ask her if she wants a crouton she bolts puppy zoomie style for the door and heads to the closet. Since I dont want to make it a crouton habit, sometimes once she is in I give her a frozen green bean or mini carrot instead. In her mind though the idea that a crouton may be coming is worth the trip inside. She also loves the Crunchmaster Multi Grain crackers at Kroger (people food)
Of course always in moderation. Darby has never been into the high priced treats we have bought at Petsmart. Good Luck:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
" She loves to be outside"

What does she love outside? Break it down and list what is rewarding/motivating for her out there.

"When it is time to come inside she literally puts the brakes on and we battle."

Break it down what exactly is happening immediately after coming in.
What do you do when you come inside? What does Koda do when she comes inside?

What can you do to make coming inside just as much fun and rewarding as being outside?

Is Koda stubborn or is she one smart puppy? :)

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is one smart puppy. I don't know what she likes, just being out there. Right now the snow is appealing and she just lays down. I would let her be out there alone but as soon as I go inside she goes and searchs for sticks and digs cuz she knows she isn't supposed to...she is too smart!

We try to play when she comes in our give her something, maybe I need to pay attention to that more.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Same Problem!

We are having the same problems with Amber. We take her outside to play, first on a lead for heeling, sit, down, then off-lead to run. She does not want to come in, even if I am holding a baggie with her high-value treats. We tried shutting the door (and watching her), but she takes off into the orchard. The acre is fenced, but I don't trust her yet. We have started to hold playing ball with her until the end and when she starts to tire, we take her collar and bring her in. Also annoying is at bedtime. When she finally runs out of gas at about 8:00 p.m., she will lay down on the floor while we watch tv. When we are ready to go to bed, my DH tries to get her to come to bed. When he calls her and walks over, she CLOSES her eyes. When he walks away, she opens them. We have had to resort to giving her part of a dog bone to get her to go to bed. She is fine with her crate and never cries, but she just wants to sleep on the den carpet. Silly girl! I hope that your issues with Koda improve soon. I know that it gets VERY TIRING, especially when you are tired! :wavey:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Does Koda have a favorite toy that the two of you play with together?

If so put it up and only play with it after coming inside. Come in from outside a little sooner so you have ten to 15 minutes available to make being in the house after the walk the best time she has.

You are in competition with whatever is outside that is rewarding to her. Coming inside right now isn't very rewarding in comparison.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, we will work on all of this. Amberbark...they sure sound like twins. I had to giggle at the closing and opening the eyes though. A treat will usually lure her up from sleeping on the floor to move to the bedroom.

Thanks guys!

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
One more suggestion. Because she is a really smart puppy, she has connected “going inside” with “no more fun for me”. So let’s break that connection.

Get some roast beef or other REALLY high value treat, lure her into the house, praise highly--and then let her back out again! Do this a lot at first, so she gets to go back outside more often than not (maybe 4 times set free before staying in the house?), and then gradually shift the proportion the other way as her cooperation becomes more reliable. If you combined this with the “crouton closet” (great idea!), I’d bet she’d be beating you to the door in no time flat :D

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
One more suggestion. Because she is a really smart puppy, she has connected “going inside” with “no more fun for me”. So let’s break that connection.

Get some roast beef or other REALLY high value treat, lure her into the house, praise highly--and then let her back out again! Do this a lot at first, so she gets to go back outside more often than not (maybe 4 times set free before staying in the house?), and then gradually shift the proportion the other way as her cooperation becomes more reliable. If you combined this with the “crouton closet” (great idea!), I’d bet she’d be beating you to the door in no time flat :D
Heck with the dog! If your handing out roast beef, I'll beg at your feet!:D

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I went through this with Brady and the key is that you cannot give in. I would say, "I am boss." with a harsh voice and he knew I was serious. When he would do that thing of laying on his back, I would actually turn him back over on his legs with my arms and start walking. He learned really quick that I wasn't falling for it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Casper would love to sit in the front yard all day, but the backyard is not as big a draw. We have two commands that are trained thoroughly enough that they overcome his desire to stay in the yard. The first is Touch. (You can find descriptons on the internet.) I don't lure him, instead I hold my palm out. He can't resist walking over to touch my hand and getting a treat. It might take 2 or 3 Touch commands to get him all the way to the front door. At the door, he gets a really good treat. And then a small treat after he sits nicely to have his harness taken off. The second command, Find Me, we use to get him from the backyard. He loves Find Me and knows he always get a treat. Too bad I can't scream "Find me find me find me" in the obedience ring (someday). I'm not saying he's all perfect, but we don't struggle as much as we did a month or so ago.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks everyone, we will work on all of this. Amberbark...they sure sound like twins. I had to giggle at the closing and opening the eyes though. A treat will usually lure her up from sleeping on the floor to move to the bedroom.

Thanks guys!
Amber wishes that Koda was closer! :wavey:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
We are having the same problems with Amber. We take her outside to play, first on a lead for heeling, sit, down, then off-lead to run. She does not want to come in, even if I am holding a baggie with her high-value treats. We tried shutting the door (and watching her), but she takes off into the orchard. The acre is fenced, but I don't trust her yet. We have started to hold playing ball with her until the end and when she starts to tire, we take her collar and bring her in. Also annoying is at bedtime. When she finally runs out of gas at about 8:00 p.m., she will lay down on the floor while we watch tv. When we are ready to go to bed, my DH tries to get her to come to bed. When he calls her and walks over, she CLOSES her eyes. When he walks away, she opens them. We have had to resort to giving her part of a dog bone to get her to go to bed. She is fine with her crate and never cries, but she just wants to sleep on the den carpet. Silly girl! I hope that your issues with Koda improve soon. I know that it gets VERY TIRING, especially when you are tired! :wavey:

I think you are talking about Chester but as embarrassing as it is to admit...hes 21 months old! :doh: He fell for the high value treats at first...now he just looks at me with a 'are you kidding?! Do you think I am THAT stupid Mum?! ' and stares at me from the middle of the garden before going down into the pounce position and launching into a loonie..otherwise known here as a zoomie.
Bedtime...he suddenly becomes a dead weight in the living room..fast asleep...yet he was awake a minute ago ;) Yup..its exhausting :mad:

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I got a real kick out of this! Amber is one smart little gal! :)

·
Registered
783 Posts

I think you are talking about Chester but as embarrassing as it is to admit...hes 21 months old! :doh: He fell for the high value treats at first...now he just looks at me with a 'are you kidding?! Do you think I am THAT stupid Mum?! ' and stares at me from the middle of the garden before going down into the pounce position and launching into a loonie..otherwise known here as a zoomie.
Bedtime...he suddenly becomes a dead weight in the living room..fast asleep...yet he was awake a minute ago ;) Yup..its exhausting :mad:
I like the term LOONIE! You are all handing me a laugh. This is the best board ever (and I have belonged to a few). The members are just like their goldens: funny, happy, smart and unconditional love (well, LIKE, I guess). :wavey:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts