Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kristy
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, thanks everyone for your help yesterday, I used some ideas you gave and Duncan stayed in his crate (quietly) last night from 12:30 until 6 a.m!!

But.... equally as exciting, (he's been napping under the kitchen table while we finished lunch and) he just walked over and got into his kitchen crate and curled up.... all on his own!

He has screamed his head off whenever I try to crate him during the day, so this is pretty big for me. Wow!

I'm so excited!!!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
Way to make mommy proud Duncan!! Hopefully this is a sign of more good things to come..........

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
If he's a much a crate lover as Tess is, you're in for good times! She always takes her naps there ( and runs for cover there, pretending to sleep, when I come with the leash and she doesn't want to go out...!)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yay! Don't you feel so much better with a little sleep? Or were you like me, lying awake waiting for the puppy to start crying? If he could do it once, he'll do it again, I'm sure! That's a big hurdle to get over!!:)

·
Kristy
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, jmamom, as a matter of fact, I did keep waking up, peeking at the clock to see what time it was and wondering if he'd hear me moving around and wake up!

I thought you all would laugh if I included that part :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm just wondering by what you mean kitchen crate? Do you own two crates, one for daytime and one for night? I'm just wondering. Thanks. I've got one crate to go in my son's bedroom. which will probably a permanent fixture until our puppy gets permission for more freedom. thought about just getting a couple of gates to keep puppy off the carpeted areas, while placing a dog bed in our family room for naps outside the crate and such. I just can't see taking the crate up and down those stairs all the time, the thing weighs a ton, well almost.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yes, jmamom, as a matter of fact, I did keep waking up, peeking at the clock to see what time it was and wondering if he'd hear me moving around and wake up!

I thought you all would laugh if I included that part :)
I still wake up at least a half hour before Josie does, waiting to hear her move around. I wish I could just let her wake me, but my brain doesn't work that way I guess.:doh:
Is Duncan still on his best behavior, or has he started to show you the crazy puppy he truly is? I'm joking, but Josie was so sweet the first 2 days, and then, as soon as she got comfortable - WHAM! She turned in to a running, jumping, biting machine! It didn't last long, though, and she's usually the sweetheart we got to know those first 2 days.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Way to go Duncan!!!Keep up the good work!!

·
Kristy
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, he's definitely making himself at home.... My 3 year old daughter put on a dressup costume with feathers around the hem before I really thought about the consequences! Oops! As you can imagine Duncan thought he was in heaven and had a mouth full of lavender feathers and sequins before you could blink an eye. Of course the fashion victim was not pleased.

He's still sleeping quite a bit though. Thanks for sharing your stories, I love it :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie just started sleeping a little less this week, kind of like a baby settling in to a regular nap schedule, LOL. Be careful of pajama dresses and bathrobes, if your daughter wears them. Josie absolutely terrorizes my 6 year old when she's in any kind of dress. And when my 12 year old has her ballet skirt on, watch out! A friend of mine said that when her puppy was little, she would spray her kids pj's with bitter apple before they were allowed downstairs in the AM, otherwise they'd get eaten alive. I haven't gone that far, but I always suggest pj's with pants when I can!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts