Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today started off on a FANTASTIC note for Huck, who just turned 11 weeks today. He scratched at the back door and when we let him out he ran down into the back yard and pooped! :D I'm SO proud of him, he's making GREAT strides with his house breaking and hasn't had an accident in a week! This was his first time actually asking to go out. :D

But of course my little turd couldn't just LEAVE it on that happy note, and about an hour later ate a mushroom! :doh: He's always trying to eat things he finds in the leaves, and it was my bad really because I assumed he was eating an acorn until I looked down and saw the leftover mushroom stem.

It scared me so bad so me and my boyfriend's mom called the emergency vet and they said to induce vomiting with 2 tsp. hydrogen peroxide. They said he'd barf within twenty minutes and if he didn't to call back.

We got a syringe and gave him the peroxide and I felt horrible because he obviously didn't like the stuff! :yuck: Then we waited around for twenty minutes.. No puking. I called them back and they said to give him another teaspoon and a couple bites of canned dog food, they said the peroxide would react with the water. So we did, and at about twenty minutes after that he finally puked.

We didn't see any mushroom bits in it but it would have been hard to tell mixed in with the dog food. We've been watching him the rest of the day though and his appetite is great, stool is normal, he's playful, alert, happy and seems perfect. I'm guessing either the mushroom wasn't poisonous or he DID puke it up and we just couldn't tell!

I was soo worried about him. It was really my fault that he got the mushroom, I should have been paying better attention because he tries to eat everything he finds but at the same time it's like OMG Huck not everything is food! LOL :doh:

I'll be keeping an eye on him over the next day or two, but what I read online said you'll usually see symptoms from poisonous mushrooms within 6 hours. It's been 8 1/2 and he's his normal self!

I'm just so glad he seems fine, and I'll be paying EXTRA careful attention to what he pops in his mouth from now on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Omg SO glad to hear he's doin good... "Hey this looks yummy" HA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Omg Kahuna is the same way.... I spend more time getting his face outta grass and whatever's on it than anything else!
 

·
Dr. Rainheart
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
So glad Huck is doing alright! Good thing you acted so fast!
 

·
Kye & Coops Mom
Joined
·
4,466 Posts
Pups seem to be like vacumn cleaners, if it is in their reach, it will make it into their mouths! Quick thinking and so glad he is OK. Silly pups, they seem to go from one thing to another!

You did good!
 

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
Joined
·
746 Posts
Moose is the same way! when he was that age he would eat everything! i can't even remember how many times i have shoved my whole hand in his mouth trying to get whatever he had in it out. he use to hide things under his tongue too.. lol sneeky bugger. he is 7 months now and his favorite thing to eat and chew on are rocks and socks. but i sometimes think his motto is "if its on the floor it must be mine and i can eat it" because no matter what he eats whatever is there.

and i think he knows he isnt suppose to cause if were in the room he was just kinda look at us and slowly chew.. as if saying "im chewing this even though your prob gonna shove your hands in my mouth again" lol what a dog! they really do have large mouths.. moose had an entire peanut butter sandwhich in there once.. like not cut up.. not chewed.. the whole thing lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
We've had to do the peroxide before and boy does it get everything up! We caught our nephew feeding the cockers grapes. The vet said no food or water until the next morning and the poor dogs were so dehydrated.
 

·
New Mommy
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Been there, done that. Sorry you had to go through it. My vet had me bring Jordan in after 72 hours for bloodwork to check her liver. Not all reactions occur right away. Hope you boy is fine!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! Glad to know Huck's not the only one that tries to eat everything he finds, hehe.

It's been over 24 hours now and thank goodness he's still doing great! :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top