Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

SO offended!! (rant)

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  rictic 
#1 ·
Sorry all to rant, I just need to vent a bit!

I took Leonidas with me to the local pet store just to walk around, and I had to pick up cat food. Leo was being an angel, sitting when I asked him to etc...as we checked out there was a cage with two birds and Leo looked at them like he wanted to play, so I told him "leave it" and he did. He EVEN did me one better and sat at my feet and waited for his treat. I was so proud. :p:
After I paid I went over to look at a display with some bandanas (yup, i'm addicted) which was still right next to the birds. Leo didn't even give them a glance, but the associate freaked out and yelled at me to "get your mutt away from MY BIRDS, he is stressing them out!" I looked over at the birds, and they are sound asleep:doh:...yup. REAL stressed out, I can tell. *eyeroll* I looked at Leo and the ******** that I am told him "sit, stay good boy" (he was laying down at this point) and went back to looking at the display. She was apparently mad I didn't haul ass out of HER store, and promtly told me to leave, or she would call security. REALLY? security?? On a 4 month old puppy and his owner looking at bandanas? We left and I called her regional manager to report her.
I was so offended. Maybe the birds should be moved to another location, or a sign should get put up banning puppies from the store in place on the sign on the door that reads "pets welcome"... we sure didn't feel welcome. :no:

Ok rant over. I feel better.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hate when stuff like that happens. The worst for me is in the dinning hall when they hire someone new and they think they have the right to remove MY SERVICE DOG because she's NOT a golden retriever.

end mini rant!

Glad you talked to the regional manager. I did that when someone at a CVS said I couldn't get my meds with my dog there, complete 180, they even let me educate their workers on service dogs! (This CVS was almost on my college campus too so they know that students are their main business.)

#5 ·
I'm glad ya'll don't think I am overreacting. I was just shocked to be treated so poorly. If you dont like puppies, perhaps you shouldn't work at a pet store??

#6 ·
Good for you to call.
I agree, if pets are welcome, then move the birds to a location where they are not "stressing out".
It is a pet store right?
We take Sierra to the pet store to socialize her, as we are really live like hermits otherwise.
Karen

#8 ·
My BIGGEST pet peeve......IGNORANT, RUDE & MISERABLE people like that!! I try my best to just let things go and let them soak in their own misery...(because I use to just blow up) however, sometimes.... You JUST HAVE TO TELL THEM ABOUT THEMSELVES!!! Good for you for calling a manager....I would have probably let her have it first! ;)

#10 ·
We used to live near a Pet Planet (pet supply store) which was bought out as a franchise later on. The new owners insisted on bringing in their dog aggressive (DA) chocolate lab to work and it drove a lot of customers away because they would tell customers making purchases for their accompanying dog to leave them at home because it was THEIR store, THEIR DA lab.

The result? They have lost business as customers have taken their dogs elsewhere to shop and they have lost employees and a groomer that had set up shop there. Their prices were also inflated to other pet supply shops and the customers' wallets have spoken by not shopping there anymore.

#16 ·
You know what? That was just DUMB on the salesperson's part. What percentage of their business do you think comes from bird owners? What percentage probably comes from dog owners? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they probably sell more dog food. Don't you think? And I'll be the regional manager knows that. Good for you for calling.

#17 ·
I take my puppies and rescue dogs to the local pet store specifically to socialize them to the resident birds...and everyone in town does. The owner applauds it, and in my experience the puppies are more likely to be scared by the birds screeching at them than the other way round. It's a great experience as long as some common sense and good manners are observed.

Good for you for standing your ground and calling management.

#20 ·
I did talk to the manager personally and he was pretty cool. Very apologetic and offered to mail me a coupon..haha! Like i'm ever going to go back. Pfft.

#21 ·
I think I would have gone off on that woman. And when you get that coupon I would take it with your "mutt" and lay that coupon in front of the woman and tell her "the mutt and I are back thanks to your regional manager and if you dont like it, get a job somewhere else.

#22 ·
Sounds like someone needs some edumacation. :) First of all, an employee of a Pet Store calling a GR a MUTT. I agree. Those are a** kicking words. Sounds like someone was told "now these birds are your responsibility and when they get nervous or scared or stressed they screech a lot and we won't be able to sell them. So, keep them calm".
Sounds like an apology from her is due. And yes, I agree with mesuezee, I would go back and back and make sure she get's it.
I would have gone off on her too. And I would have demanded they get the reg manager on the phone right then!! I have done that before in a restaurant. Talk about effective!!!

#23 ·
I would definitely go back to the store, just to let that person know you're not going to be pushed around by them!!! I agree, the birds should be moved if passing dogs are stressing them out... duh!!! Either dogs are welcomed or they are not... that person should not be working there!

#24 ·
yep deffo use the coupons. after all it's a freebie.

if not give them to someone with the largest dog you know. ask them to go in and get the dog to hover around the birds looking hungry, and to mention the last time he seen birds he bent the cage like paper to get them.

and also he goes crazy at hysterical people.

then you need to get a monkey in there somehow and accidently let it slip it's leash. imagine how that would freak her out.

offer to use a skunk as a bait to re capture the monkey and then release that too.

oh she'll be so sorry lmao.

#25 ·
I think you handled it very good, especially that your precious little one was called a mutt and you were yelled at for absolutely no reason. I think my reaction would have been totally different...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.