Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what Jeff said to me when I told him about the night we had last night.

Oy.. poor Sammy and Dillon. We all went to bed at 10pm last night. I was/am sick and just couldn't make it til midnight. Well at midnight I got woken up anyway by two extremely terrified dogs. The fireworks had begun (not even that close btw.. I mean you could hear them clearly but it's not like they were being lit on my street or anything) and they were not happy about it.

Sam was shaking like a leaf.. he was so scared. He was curled into a tiny ball and kept pushing himself over my body, nuzzling his face into my neck, shaking like crazy. Poor pup :(

Dillon at first was pacing around the room in a big circle. He'd get on the bed, walk over me and Sam, jump down and walk around the foot of the bed, then do the loop all over again. Finally I got him to settle a bit on the bed, but as soon as he heard another pop, he was up again. I eventually got Dill to lay down against the headboard behind me, I leaned against him, Sam was laying on my chest with his head in the crook of my neck, and the three of us finally fell asleep like that.

I felt so bad! They have never reacted to fireworks in the past like that! I have no idea why all of a sudden this year they were so freaked out. Guess I'm joining the club of people who have to stock up on Rescue Remedy at New Years and 4th of July..

Anyway... Happy New Year everyone! :p: *yawn*

·
Registered
813 Posts
Aw, poor pups. Duke is afraid of guns and fireworks. He always goes to hide in the back of the house. Bailey on the other hand is quite intrigued by those sounds. It's like she knows she's supposed to be a hunting dog.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Murphy didn't like the fireworks noise either. He was in the backyard mid-pee when he heard a loud pop a few streets away and ran to the backdoor ( I think he was dripping all the way) he wanted in and fast. Chester later went for a walk with DH and I heard fireworks again. DH said they didn't bother Chester at all, which is a suprise because Chester is my chicken dog. Glad Dillion and Sammy were safe with their Mom...Happy New Year!

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie really freaked out, too, which surprised me since he never seemed bothered by 4th of July fireworks. He insisted on getting in bed with us but since we only have a double bed he was really lying on top of me. Our other dog Rascal was stressed, too, but she always stresses with fireworks.

My sister was here with her four corgis and two of them got upset, too. She (my sister) always comes over on the 4th because there are less fireworks here but there were a lot last night.

Does anyone here medicate their dog for fireworks?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Rusty had a pretty severe thunderstorm and firework anxiety. We tried both Acepromazine and Diazapam (valium). After using Ace a few times we decided to discontinue using it. It takes a while to kick in and the effects last for hours. Thunderstorms would usually come and go before the Ace was really working. By the time it was working, Rusty would be terribly wobbly for hours. So we went with Diazapam which starts working rather quickly while the effects are mild and short term. It was never a complete solution, but it did help calm him down.

There is also another drug...clomocalm...which can be used to treat noise anxiety, but we never tried it, so I can't tell you how well it works.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I agree with Sucker for gold about Ace and Valium. Those are the only two drugs I tried with Copper. the treatment that made him happiest was me and a kong full of fronzen peanut butter, but I wouldn't always be there.;)

copper's hearing has deteriorated with age and he is no longer bothered by fireworks or thunderstorms. that is good and sad too.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Our first round came at 10 last night. So I decided it was time to go to bed, Jasper was already glued to me. Those only lasted about 10 minutes or so, I think they were just making sure they would be able to see them because it was foggy up at the lake last night. The second round woke me up at midnight. I could have sworn that the were shooting them directly at the house. Jasper was already in bed with me, so I just laid my arm across him and feel back to sleep. Danny had already moved away from the door leading out to the deck from my bedroom and to the other side of the bed.

It's also hunting season here, so there were gunshots off in the distance on our daily walks. Danny and Jasper both HATE gunfire!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maximus and Leonidas were scared too! They jumped into bed with me (normally are NOT allowed unless I call them up) but they invited themselves right up and snuggled in close under the blanket! It was pretty cute, but I do feel bad for them. Leonidas was more afraid and Maximus was more gruff and growly... he was like "I'll protect you momma, but i'm scared too!" It was sweet... he kept liking my feet! Haha!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Are you felling any better Marlene?

I have been very fortunate that neither of my dogs react to fireworks or thunderstorms at all. (Knock on Wood)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Gunner is terrified of all loud noises, fireworks, guns, and storms.
We used to use ACE but it really didn't help and just doped him up.
We switched to melatonin and it works pretty well.

I didn't use it last night because I thought of the fireworks too late. Gunner didn't tremble but he was up in my face panting and nervous. I let him lie by me and petted him till they stopped. I have lost all my thrill for fireworks.

Selka could care less about loud noises.He used to go to trap shoots with us since he was a pup till Gunner began wigging out and we had to stop going with Dan. : (

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Be sure to drink lots of fluids hon. Water is what actually activates and helps some of the meds to work.

I started feeling crappy Sunday, had a couple bad days and now feeling better.

Lot's of deep breath exercises also to keep the lungs clear.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really was so shocked both dogs reacted so strongly to the noises. We have lived in the same area since we've had them both and there are always fireworks on New Years and July 4th and neither has ever showed any nervousness or anything about them.

One time Sam was freaked out by a car backfiring outside but after laying on my lap for a couple hours he was fine (lol don't tell him I told you, he doesn't want anyone to know what a wussy he is). I couldn't believe how much he was shaking last night and I swear you'd think he was trying to crawl into my skin with me the way he was nudging close to me.

Poor guys... it really makes me worry and not feel comfortable leaving them home alone on these holidays in the future. I have no idea what they would have done last night if i wasn't home.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
All of mine were all over me last night. The people down the street had some major illegal fireworks and it scared the heck out of them. Even Pawley that is so calm and cool was nervous. We have learned that 4th of July and New Years we stay home.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Dogs are funny about loud noises and what spooks them. Sammie my first golden was trained from the get go to work with guns. She did great...I started out with very low volume shots and lots of treats and worked our way up to 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. She'd see that shot gun and you had one very happy camper.

I never had a problem with thunder - it just didn't bother her.

But in her later years when I had her out in my pram fly-fishing during duck season she suddenly decided the shotgun blasts weren't to cool and would try and hide under my legs - why I have no idea - we'd been thought this all her life - it just happened.

And the same thing happened with the thunderstorms - all of a sudden they just weren't cool - she'd start pacing very much the way you described Dillon's reaction.

We had one English Setter named Clem which we hunted over and he was fine but for some reason he just didn't like planes flying over head. We had a covered room outside with a dog door and every time a plane passed over old Clem would head straight for that room. I built a wood sign and hung it over the door which read "Clem's Bomb Shelter"...you couldn't help but smile when friends were over and asked what the "bomb shelter" sign was about when all of a sudden a plane would fly by and old Clem would head straight for that room. He was quite a character.

I don't know why all of a sudden they decide it's no longer cool and suddenly show these signs of fear - it really puzzles me - but then there are a lot of things my dogs do that puzzle me so I just add it to the list, give 'em a hug and continue on.

Pete

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just glad I was a fuddy dud and didn't go out last night... I would have been really upset if I knew they had to be so scared all alone last night.

·
Registered
958 Posts
And the same thing happened with the thunderstorms - all of a sudden they just weren't cool - she'd start pacing very much the way you described Dillon's reaction.

I don't know why all of a sudden they decide it's no longer cool and suddenly show these signs of fear - it really puzzles me - but then there are a lot of things my dogs do that puzzle me so I just add it to the list, give 'em a hug and continue on.
I don't think Rusty showed noise phobia's until he was about 2. From age 2 to age 7 his phobia got progressively worse, until at age 7-9 his fears seemed to start decreasing.

I have a friend who has a 3 year old lab (gun dog at that), who has never shown any signs of noise phobia until this past year. She is starting to have problems with thunderstorms. Get out the gun and she goes crazy...loves to hunt and no noise problems there. But when the sky rumbles....she cowers and hides.

Oh, I just remember having a conversation with our breeder last week about noise phobias and she suggested a couple things . She said that there is a herbal remedy called "Bach Rescue Remedy" which is good for calming both humans and animals in stressful situations.

Also in cases of thunderstorm anxiety she said that she has heard that "Bounce Fabric Softner Sheets" may also help. You simply rub them on the dog. Thunderstorms are associated with a drop in air pressure and an increase in static electricity. Dogs sense these changes and know a thunderstorm is coming long before we do. Rubbing them with a bounce sheet helps to reduce the static electricity and supposedly help to calm the dog.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
We went on to bed, but I knew when midnight hit because Lucy had been asleep in the living room, but I heard her growling and barking before I heard the fireworks. She got into bed with us and was fine though. Bart and Dory never even knew anything happened. I imagine Dory wouldn't mind fireworks and guns like Lucy. She's not quite the frady cat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts