Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UmM.. well im looking for a GR breeders ( in the US). i was wondering if u guys could help me with choosing the right puppy (when i find a breeder), like what behaviors to look for, should the father be on site, and things like that

help would be apreeciated,

Fransheka :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
The three breeders that I have dealt with don't let you pick your own pup. You tell them what you want in a pup and what your home environment is like and they pick them for you.

None of the breeders that I know own both the dam and sire.

Ask lots of questions though....most will want a face-to-face interview with you as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi, yes, it is said that good breeders go outside for the sire. Also, they definitely ask a lot of questions to ensure the puppy will be right fit with you, your lifestyle and aspirations.

You need to tell the breeder whether you have plans to show in breed competitions, obedience, agility, or hunting competitions, or if the puppy will be family companion, the breeder will need to know what is your lifestyle, whether there are children, etc. To a good breeder, it is extremely important that their puppy will go to best home possible - and I think that a responsible owner wants the same thing as well.

Asking a lot of questions on your part - about the parents and the puppies is good in finding the best fit as well. A responsible breeder should let you see all the puppies though, to ensure that they all look healthy and well taken care of, kept in a well maintained area. Patience is the key when you have decided on the right breeder - sometimes you need wait for the right puppy once you've found the right parents and their traits.

Many sources recommend that you look for a puppy that is inquisitive and is at ease with things and people around him. Use a ball or toy to see puppy's responses to common and new objects, look to see whether a puppy likes and seeks humans or whether it rather stays on his own, away from humans or the rest of the litter. If you're first time dog owner, you also need to be careful about how headstrong is the puppy you choose, and how receptive it will be probably be to training.

Regarding the loook of the coat of the puppy - it will most probably change from what you see now, all GR puppies darken in their coat colour as they grow older. Last advice - it's good NOT to buy on the spot, but go home and really think about all you have seen and then decide which little ball of yellow will you take home with you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Andi said:
The three breeders that I have dealt with don't let you pick your own pup. You tell them what you want in a pup and what your home environment is like and they pick them for you. None of the breeders that I know own both the dam and sire.Ask lots of questions though....most will want a face-to-face interview with you as well.

Andi, I would still go an pick up a puppy on my own. I wouldn't trust anyone but my own instincts.
A good breeder allows you to come to their home to pick up the puppy.
Walia

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always picked up the puppy and told them whether we wanted a male or female. But the breeders (and they are reputable/showing breeders) always picked out which pup they were going to give you. Obviously, you could refuse to purchase if you were unhappy with their decision....but the "pick" was definitely theirs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So you can keep refusing till you get the one you like...
Isn't it easier to pick to one you want right away?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some breeders pick for you, some don't. Find a breeder you like and trust, and if they let you pick, then pick, if they dont let you then dont worry! Just find a breeder you feel good about!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You ask us to help you pick a puppy when you find a breeder, but first you have to find a good breeder. There are a lot of bad breeders out there. Most in fact.

Finding a breeder depends on what you want. Are you going to hunt or compete with the dog? If you just want a family pet you may want to stay away from breeders who breed for hunting (if they would even sell to you). You want a Breeder who asks you a lot of questions. If they agree to give you a pup without asking questions, then for me alarms would go off.

Goldens can come in all sizes (from 50 pounds to over 100 pounds) and with different energy levels. The reason good breeders will choose for you is that they know best what the puppies characteristics are. They won't want to place a higher energy more dominant puppy in a home with busy parents and young kids. Some breeders won't give pups to homes with any kids under a certain age, like 3 and under.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vierka said:
Hi, yes, it is said that good breeders go outside for the sire.
that's not always true. My breeder has her stud dogs that she uses exclusively for her females. She won't go outside looking for another stud dog, and she also won't stud her males out to other females. She is a small, but very reputable and known breeder here.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. Didn't want someone to shy away from a potentially really good breeder just because they have the sire on site! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts