Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night and twice today hes had the runs. My grandmother and I have discussed this and here is what we have decided.

If it doesnt clear up by Thursday we will have the EPI/SIBO test ran, if that comes back negative the vet will be told we do not have anymore money for tests and we want to try to treat him for IBD with Tylan powder. If she doesnt agree we are going to sign him over to the spca when he starts showing hes sick and they can put him down since I cant find a vet who will.

This decision wasnt easy, and I know its not fair but what else can I do when the money just isnt there. If the test comes back positive fine, I will deal with that but I dont have the money to play the "Lets run every test until we figure it out" game. Hes been treated for worms, giardia and those tests and meds costed me already $400. This $170 test is the last of the money I have available to me for testing. Its not my Visa its my grandmothers and she has a say in it as well.

So I am hoping this bout of the runs is something he ate that doesnt agree but with my luck its probably not

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Uhm. Wouldn't it be better to find a way to get him adopted by somebody who has money and the willingness to spend it on this dog? Please don't put him down just because of giardia or IBS.

Considering he has allergy issues which could be treated with shots or additional tests, it might be better for him to be rehomed.

There are plenty of dogs out there who will live the rest of their lives on a special diet and care... and they do fine. Our collie is one of those. I know he cost over a $1000 for treatment his first year with us, because his system was in such chaos. He's almost a normal dog now and his stomach issues which do show up time and again because of stress or eating stuff he shouldn't are much easier to handle and fix.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog is not living the rest of his life on Science Diet. I have already stated in my previous thread about it that he is not adoptable because of aggression issues.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
My dog is not living the rest of his life on Science Diet. I have already stated in my previous thread about it that he is not adoptable because of aggression issues.
For some dogs it is a fact of life they have to be on a prescription diet. Whether that is science diet or one of the other brands. Unfortunately, this is a risk you must consider when you purchase a dog. Any dog.

Please consider checking with your vet or local rescue groups (the kind who actually rescue dogs vs euthanizing them, breed rescue groups specifically) to have him evaluated. Because he is so young, they might be willing to get him into foster care.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you go read my previous thread about it you will read that

He has already been evaluated by NUMEROUS rescue groups breed specific and non breed. No one will touch him because he is aggressive (genetics) and he has health issues as they told me they wont waste resources on an unhealthy dog when theres so many healthy dogs waiting for new homes.

Ive even called the local human societies all of which wont touch him unless its to put him down. Any organization that funds vet care for low income people are out of funds.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
If SD resolves the problem, why not? Many dogs require prescription diets for their lifetime. If it gives him a lifetime why would you refuse to do it? You would rather put a young dog to sleep than feed him a food that fixes the problem?

I agree with Megora. Contact Breed rescues and talk to them, they may have more options than you are aware of to help him.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive already contacted breed rescues....

To feed him the prescription diet which is basically wheat and corn in a bag will cost me $150 a month. This isnt affordable so its not an option. If the vet was willing to prescribe me tylan powder without running all these ridiculous tests then I wouldnt be in this situation. She knows the only option is to put him down and she doesnt seem to really care.

Hopefully when I speak to her about it tomorrow over the phone she will be understanding because if she isnt willing to treat for IBD without tests if this EPI test shows up negative (which it will) then she may not even agree to pay for the EPI test

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Which breed rescues have you contacted?

I know we have members who are in your area who are involved with rescue. Because your dog is young and his problems are essentially treatable, it's worth a try - even if it means a group outside of Ontario getting him.

Prescription diet - *shrugs* We've had our collie on a corn and wheat, as you say, diet for the three years he's been with us. Saved his life.

ETA - and please keep in mind. I've seen stories about dogs and cats in rescue where they are on chip-in lists for surgeries or care, and I've wondered why so much money and time is being wasted on lost causes - specifically with dogs who have severely dehabilitating conditions or who have a very short time to live. One cat I saw at a rescue has a broken jaw and can't shut his mouth... and he is up for adoption.

I can't say I'm the type of person who believes that every dog/cat should be saved and every last penny should be spent to give each dog/cat a happy ever after.

But -

Aggression can be trained and then there are experienced homes where these dogs can be adopted into. I know of one case where there is a GSD who has major league dog aggression. His owner knows exactly how to handle this dog and they both are doing fine.

Allergies - are expensive, but they can be handled once people sort out what is causing these allergies and under a vet's advice get the treatment that is necessary.

Stomach ailments of IBS - with prescription diet, that dog should be able to thrive.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Some rescues have professional trainers that volunteer their services to them, so aggression issues (depending on the situation) aren't necessarily a dealbreaker. He's so young, it seems worth it to try to branch out and look for someone who can help.

My Hunter was on prescription i/d food for most of his life. I didn't love the ingredients, but he could digest it so it was well worth it. From time to time his G/I tract would be stable enough to mix in something better for a little while. Maybe you can work out something with your vet for discounts on food?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I don't know if you have seen my post to you on your other thread. Please get a hold of Dr. Dodds regarding Autoimmune Thyroiditis. Behaviorial issues are a major part of this disorder. In the event he has this, medication (Soloxine) can help with his aggression. www.hemopet.org

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive already contacted her. I spoke with her last night about the allergy test they have out. I would love to do all these tests but the money just isnt there. I have $170 to work with. I dont see him having EPI or SIBO but I guess its possible.

Once again, hes not going into a rescue. He has other issues then just aggression. Hes to attached to me the last time I left him he refused to eat for a couple weeks. Its not fair to stick a dog who has only known me for his life into a rescue and expect him to be made perfect. I have had trainers and behavoirist work with him and they told me he needs to be put down. His issues are not lack of training his issues are genetic. One of his litter mates were already put down for attacking a kid without provocation. His other liter mate is the same as him. Not sure about the others as I only pulled 3 the last ones.

I didnt do anything different yesterday other then not add canned food into his evening meal, my neighbour gave him a small sugar cookie and he played with his friend.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Its not fair to stick a dog who has only known me for his life into a rescue and expect him to be made perfect.
It happens all the time with rescued dogs. Please don't feel like you are the last chance this dog has.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it possible that his system is still trying to adjust to the change from raw to kibble? Hes only been off flagyl now for 5 days and today was the first day hes has runny poos. Maybe I should give him another week to adjust to this food?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I posted my thoughts about home cooking for Lincoln in your other thread. If you wish to leave chicken out, that's fine. I really think it would help a whole bunch if you tried it, really do. I have personally seen it work wonders with other dogs that had issues besides my own when people had tried everything else. Not BS'ing you.

I hope this thread does not get out of hand with your mention of giving him up and having him put down. I like to think that is doubtful and you are posting those words out of frustration and anger that he is not getting better. Hang in there, he needs you.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not going to put him down for chronic runny poops. But if my vet isnt willing to understand and work with my financial status and treat for IBD without wanting to run hundreds of dollars worth of tests then I dont have much choice if he starts losing weight, not eating and over all is suffering. As long as he maintains a healthy weight, doesnt dehydrate, isnt pooping blood and isnt asking to poop every hour and is still eating he will be kept here.

I am talking about when the vet knows my situation with money and wants to rake me for money and knows what will happen to the dog if she doesnt just let me try tylan powder. I cannot afford a $1500 biopsy on his intestines or a scope up the bum (not sure what thats called). After this $170 test I cannot afford anymore for testing.

I am still reading more into home cooking. Its really hard to do when you cannot use chicken as beef can be to hard on their systems and pork as well. I am also adding a supplement to see if it will help with his issues I have heard good reviews about it

Seagreens Powder - Holistic Blend

I will only put him down if hes suffering. I am so frusterated right now I cant even eat. Im at loss. I have people saying to add this and dont add that and I dont know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Wow, please just take a moment to breathe.

Runny poops is no reason to have your dog put down!! It happens! My dog had runny poops for like 3 months almost as a puppy. Giardia is HARD to get rid of but it didn't break the bank either.

He's now on a specific food because it seems to be the only food that doesn't give him the runs or make him super itchy and get ear infections. Is it more expensive then the "grocery store" brands like Iams and Pedigree, sure is, but ya do what it takes.

As far as aggression goes...

That's Reece, our rescued Pitbull. The dog that used to fight with any dog who tried to take attention away from her. She hated other dogs.

Now, she cuddles with Tucker EVERY DAY and plays with him constantly, she can go to dog parks and meet other dogs with NO problem.

Did it take a lot of work to get her this way? Of course it did. It took about a year and a half for her to learn her boundries and realize that other dogs aren't going to replace her. This is a dog who was abused as a puppy and locked in a car for the entire day.

I hardly think Lincoln's aggression CAN'T be fixed with the right guidance. Dont be quick to give up on him.

Please re-consider your decision. In the right hands, your dog can be whatever you want him to be.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I apologize for the accusatory tone of my last post.

Is it possible that switching foods up on him so constantly and "adding this and adding that" is irritating his system? When did this issue start? Was it out of the blue, or did you change foods on him all of the sudden? Has there been any one food that he's been normal on? I would keep him on one food for several months and see what happens. Even if he does have a gastric event, I'd keep him on the food with no changes. Maybe he just has a sensitive stomach.

My brother's wife (she'd kill me if she knew I was posting this, lol), has IBS. She eats the wrong thing, she throws up and gets the runs. It's an annoyance, but it's not something that is ruining her life. Maybe Lincoln has IBS for dogs?

Sorry if I've reiterated something you've already said in previous posts - I don't know all of Lincoln's story.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Did you lose your job or something? How much did you think a dog was going to cost you a month? Animals are not cheap, especially when something goes wrong with them...

It sounds like you've tried many things, contacted many people but I hope you follow thru on the latest recommendations before you give up. It will help to make sure you made the right decision. I understand you are fustrated, but a little more won't hurt for a dog you love...

That said it would be much more humane for you to have the vet put him down instead of dropping him off at a humane society where they will put him in a cage (treated as an aggressive animal) and then take him and euthanize him. At least he will have you there in his last moments and since he is aggressive, you can help keep his stress and aggression down.

I wish you both the best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts