Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I became a dog yesturday! lol Pretty much this is the deal, I have a honda civic 07', very small and uncomfortable for my Lucy, she wants to sit in the front seat or right in the middle, she can't stay still and she wants to do whatever she wants in the car while I'm driving. This is just simply unacceptable obviously! So I have purchased many different harnesses and none of them really work, but I got one that I really thought was going to work and well it just didint. So, I was able to put it on her pretty quickly with a treat to distract her and then as I was driving to the park I look back and she is fighting with the harness and a few minutes later it gets really quiet in the car and I look back and she managed to get out of the harness! I now call her Lucy "Houdini". So I stop the car in the middle of this random neighborhood and this is when the fight began, I became a dog! We where both fighting and pushing as I was trying to put the harness back on her, this was something out of a movie! I was so mad though, she was biting me and pushing me away from her, but I was fighting back.

I really need some help here, I need a safe way to take my Lucy in the car nothing I have purshased has worked and unfortunately I can't change my car for a bigger one. Do you guys have any advice as to what I can do, because everytime we go out I end up getting frustrated and sometimes almost getting into accidents because she just can't stay still in the car even though I have beeb taking her out ever since I got her. If there is anything that worked for you please share I'm desperate right now. Thanks everyone!:confused::uhoh::(

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Are you sure you are talking about this beautiful little girl.......the one with the angelic face? Could not be.....!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I LOVE ordering things online! Are you worried about your credit card number getting stolen? If so, check with your bank - many now provide you with one-time use credit card numbers for your account so if it's compromised it can't be used again.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Is there any way you can put a divider between the front and back seat?
That would be my suggestion to. The other option would be to put a crate in there, but I don't know if one would fit, might have to assemble it inside the car. Maybe one of those little popup nylon crates?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be my suggestion to. The other option would be to put a crate in there, but I don't know if one would fit, might have to assemble it inside the car. Maybe one of those little popup nylon crates?

Oh!! Don't even mention this, lol. I got one yesturday at target and Lucy had a nervous break down, she hated it and was barking and it was just a horrible experience for the both of us.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
What kind of harness are you using. Is it the kind for riding in cars? Because they usually are tightly secured around the body and they cant get loose. Bama is a real wiggle worm in the back seat wanting to come upfront and with me having a convertible I dont want him jumping out or coming out if there is an accident. I have one that is very similar to these.
http://www.petco.com/product/9432/Four-Paws-Safety-Seat-Vest-Harnesses.aspx#details
http://www.petco.com/product/8146/Petmate-by-Aspen-Pet-Canine-Seat-Belts.aspx

Petco also has several types of the car barrier like Nuttinbutgoldens suggested

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have barriers in the backs of our 2 cars, but we have a Grand Caravan and a Trailblazer. I'm not sure if they make them for smaller cars or not, but we love ours. The dogs are safe and can't jump into to the front.

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
I have a harness that wraps that goes around the chest and then the leash that goes with the harness buckels into the seatbelt. Work great for me. I got it at petco.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The weather-tech barrier says it fits just about any car. I'd ask about the Civic before I ordered, but if it doesn't fit you can always return it.

That said, I absolutely positively wouldn't drive with her again until you've got this completely settled. While I'm sure you feel bad leaving her at home, think of how bad you'd feel if you got in an accident and someone got hurt or worse.

Tessie's very mellow in the car and just kinda naps in the front seat, but as soon as she
grows a little more, she's going in the back of the wagon. (We've got a retractable dog net, which is great, except that she's just small enough to wriggle through a little gap in the side.

This could literally be a matter of life and death, so make sure you deal with this problem.

allen

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
The weather-tech barrier says it fits just about any car. I'd ask about the Civic before I ordered, but if it doesn't fit you can always return it.

That said, I absolutely positively wouldn't drive with her again until you've got this completely settled. While I'm sure you feel bad leaving her at home, think of how bad you'd feel if you got in an accident and someone got hurt or worse.

Tessie's very mellow in the car and just kinda naps in the front seat, but as soon as she
grows a little more, she's going in the back of the wagon. (We've got a retractable dog net, which is great, except that she's just small enough to wriggle through a little gap in the side.

This could literally be a matter of life and death, so make sure you deal with this problem.

allen
I was thinking the same thing myself. Rather than just being like, "Oh, I'll bar her from getting into the front seat by putting up a gate!" I really think you should work on addressing Lucy's mischievous behavior in the car. Of course, I have no idea how you go about that, but there could be a day when she'll need to be in someone's car and if they don't have a way of restraining her, it could be very messy. :bowl:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe me I have been trying so hard to keep her calm in the car. I would expect her to be used to it by now but she's not. She just wants her way and thats that, I must admit it does have me a little stressed out. My mom isnt letting me go out with her until I find a way to keep her away from the fron seat. = ( It's for our own good I know, but I miss her so much when I leave her home.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Believe me I have been trying so hard to keep her calm in the car. I would expect her to be used to it by now but she's not. She just wants her way and thats that, I must admit it does have me a little stressed out. My mom isnt letting me go out with her until I find a way to keep her away from the fron seat. = ( It's for our own good I know, but I miss her so much when I leave her home.
Do you clicker train her at all? Maybe if you start working with her and a clicker in trying to positively reinforce GOOD behavior in the car she will learn that she's not supposed to misbehave.

I clicker trained Flora in the car because she was so scared of it. Every time she would lie down or sit and be quiet I would click and treat. Nowadays she'll just lie down in the car and go to sleep when I drive.

Good luck! I'm sure it's just a phase, so don't be too stressed out by it. :)

·
Premium Member
18,151 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
If she is wriggling out of the harness, then its too big for her or not fitted right. She may just need to grow a bit before it fits her well, I don't know, but even the squirmiest of dogs should not be able to get out of a normal well fitting harness.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts