Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Are you serious?! I'm all for spending money to rescue a dog, but that's pretty outrageous if you ask me!

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right?!

Its so upsetting. I'm sure almost everyone who sees that would go to a breeder instead for that much.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Looks like they are counting on Supply and Demand of Goldens in NE needing to be rescued. The other breeds are $525.

I know in Massachusetts, there is a smaller supply of adoptable rescues, and most people I know got their rescues from down south. Sounds like this rescue may be taking advantage of that.

·
16,000 Posts
Sounds like a scam to me. There was a "breeder" in my state that was doing that. Any puppies that she bred that weren't sold were then labeled as "rescues", and sold to kind souls who thought they were saving these dogs. They paid a high price, as the "breeder" told tales of all the vet care, etc that she had put into them (false).

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats why Im having issues

Im on Eastern Long Island NY. When a GR is listed its SNATCHED right up, which is great for the dog but not for me LOL If Im not glued to my computer Im always missing out.

Luckily I just happened to check craigslist this morning right as someone posted. It may not be legit, still looking into it. Keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I know that when I was up in Maine with the dogs, I had several people express surprise that both of my boys had come from shelters. It was such a foreign thing to them that there were homeless goldens in shelters. Down here it is very common and we have to do a lot of juggling to get them all out of shelters and into rescues.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Where's Jenna????? She's wonderful at finding and fostering needy sweeties. We've had a couple of transports cross country to get the right dog to their forever home. I bet we could do it again.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would walk away. You can get a dog from a reputable breeder for that price. It is ridulous on why they charge so much. Some of the cost I know can go to transporting the dogs but tha tis just too much. Mixed breeds 525 golden 1150.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Hmmm, the name of the rescue sounds very familiar. I think I know someone who fostered for them. I haven't looked up the rescue, but are they in the NE?

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,104 Posts
That can't be right-I'm with CFGRR, our adopt fee is $250 for each Golden we have in rescue regardless of what medical treatments it may have recieved such as being treated for Heartworms, hip surgery, etc. We do not charge an adoption application fee either. Here is the link to the National Rescue committee-each Golden Ret.Rescue group listed will tell you what their adopt fee is and if there is a fee to submit an application. The dogs offered for adoption through a Golden Rescue come fully vetted and are given a clean bill of health before being available for adoption.

http://www.grca-nrc.org/localrescues.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts