Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from sunny San Diego! I joined the forum because I will be bringing home my very first golden puppy in a little less than 2 weeks! I've always been a Northern/Spitz breed person, and currently have a Siberian Husky. I would've stuck with them forever if not for my new passion for obedience, and rally. My interest led me to golden retrievers. I appreciate their intelligence, and drive. I'm really excited to get into all the things these wonderful dogs excel at!

The litter my pup is coming from is almost 7 weeks old. I got to meet them all a few days ago, and I have to say they're about the cutest puppies I've ever seen. I may be biased though. I don't know which one is mine, I do know I'm getting a male. The breeder has evaluated once, and will be doing it again in about a week to ensure everyone gets the puppy their looking for. I'm technically going to be a show home so I'm getting first pick male. She has a pretty good idea of who its going to be, but its not 100% yet. I'm not sure if I'll have him shown in conformation (She's offered to handle him for me), but do plan on at least an obedience title (hopefully).

I'll admit I'm very new to this so anyone who has any experience please throw me tips and advice thanks!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to you! I am excited for you.
You will love your Golden. We have a Samoyed and a Golden!
Huskies are wonderful, too!

·
3 goldens
11,761 Posts
Sorry, you can not have that puppy! Least wise not if I can reach into my screen and pull him into my arms!. LOL, Hello and welcome from the Texas coast. I grew up with English Setters, got my first for my 11th birthday waaaay back in 1956. We were quail hunters and even tho Daddy had bird dogs, I wanted one of my very own. After the loss of my last English Setter, a lost Irish setter came into my house and heart, followed by another when he passed to the Bridge.

Boots was 9 when the first golden came into our house. Our son, a duck hunter, wanted a golden for a duck dog and he got a puppy, Scooter, who was retrieving ducks at 6 months. He and Boots were best buds, even tho Boots had always been an "only dog". We then got a full brother to Scooter, Buck. After Boots left us at age 12 1/2, in '97, we lost Scooter to heart attack in '99. We then got litter mate pups (goldens of course) and then couple of years later adopted a young golden, so we had 4. Lost Hunter at age 4 years 2 months to ProHeart6, on '03, then Buck at 12 yrs 3 months in '07, and then KayCee at 8 years 9 months in '08, and then Honey at "at least 13) in 2014.

Bit change after her death--we adopted a 7 year old blind Great Pyrenees but lost him to hemangiosarcoma 3 1/2 weeks later. Adopted another 7 year old Pyrenees, and a few months later, adopted an 11 year old golden retriever,. We lot Sophie in Oct. You may change breeds, but you soon learn all about them. The Pyrs are the most different as the others were all sporting dogs.

Goldens LOVE to please you, they want to please you. If not for our old ages and health problems, we woule be getting another golden to join Moose, our Pyr. Congratulations on your puppy and I think you made a wonderful choice going with a golden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the welcomes! Im so excited I can't stop scouring the site for every bit of information. There's such a wealth of knowledge here!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts