Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla attacked Hurley badly last night for no apparent reason. he was sound asleep at my feet, she was sitting about 5 feet away and just lunged and attacked. Hurley growled, threw his weight into her, but will not bite her, she punctured his neck. it took my husband and son to pull her off of him...I tried to jump out of the way and of course react which was not a good thing for my broken shoulder. This happened just before bedtime, son put layla in the crate and she spent the night there instead of upstairs with us.

the last time she did this was about 6 months ago...she has been pretty good since we got the squirt. she has started chewing fence again just recently. We love her, she is a great family dog but sadly not trustworthy. I can't do much to handle her right now with only one arm...hubby and kids have been whining about having to supervise her outside, or do anything with her but that is how it is...I have always done it. I don't want to give up on her...she has come so far, but we can't allow her to injure our other dogs or us. We have exhausted all trainers, behaviorists and vet behaviorists. layla is what she is...I guess i am just very disappointed, she had been doing so well. Hurley is now afraid of her...

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I am so sorry. Maybe she thought she was protecting you because he was lying on your feet? She does sound as if she needs to be the only dog in the family.

·
Registered
581 Posts
One thing that's kind of surprised me to learn about the dog world is that most dogs seem to have their own personalities, moods, and jealousies, and can even have what we in the human world might term psychological disorders. I used to think that any dog could be trained to be a good dog, but sometimes it seems like certain dogs can have really deep set issues. Just like in the human world, there can be psychopaths and killers and whathaveyou. Don't get me wrong, most of the time what people mistake for that sort of behavior is actually just a dog being a dog and needing more and better training. Sometimes, though...

It's got to be a tough situation, especially when a dog is like a member of the family and then becomes dangerous.

Is she just violent toward other dogs (Rather than humans)? If so, maybe you could find a friend or a relative who doesn't have other dogs and see if they might want her. Of course, you'd want to fill them in in advance on her issues with other dogs.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I am so sorry... how heartbreaking.

Have you had her medically evaluated recently, specifically her thyroid levels and possibly for any dental issues?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all...Layla was just vet checked again recently...no thyroid or other issues. she does have an ear infection that just started up again yesterday. Layla has never been an only dog, as a matter of fact I think she would be quite lonely if she was...she loves her brother and little sister, she just goes psycho sometimes.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I am so very sorry, Dreammom! No strange noises, sudden movements that could have frightened her?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts