Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last four days here in Bulgaria we experienced one of the coldest winters.Yesterday and the day before there were records. -23.80° F(-31C) was the coldest place here.In Sofia we had -9.39°F(-23C).Greetings from Russia,i guess..;););) We're all trying to stay inside... :peepwall: But that's not always possible.Work,some grocery shopping,and the most important thing-walking his majesty.If walk is delayed,he's like :hyper: Doesn't seem to be cold.His poor paws are though...Every now and then he stops and lifts them.Seems unaware of what's causing the discomfort...:uhoh::confused: I'm considering some type of dog shoes for him.:)
Today it's warm here-it's 12 f now and much milder,because it snows.But if such freezing cold weather returns,we're considering visiting the Pudden and her mama for some warmth.:eek: ;)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I was hearing about your extreme cold yesterday on CNN. WOW! Don't know how you survive, I would become a hermit and wait until spring. Don't even think my car would start in those temperatures.

Keep yourself bundled up and stay inside as much as Bell will allow. Brrrrrrr and hope this doesn't continue. We in Texas are having a very mild winter. Been almost 70 F lately and we love it! Wonder if you print out a picture of a warm sunny day and put it on your wall it will make you feel warmer??

Let us know how it goes, cause I can't imagine such temperatures!

Reactions: Bell

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I saw it too on ABC yesterday. I hope it moderates for you soon. I'd be tempted to get one of those "happy" lights they sell for Seasonal Affective Disorder just to get through the winter.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:) Thank you so much for the thoughtful words.Very kind.The worst has passed.It's quite warmer now.We're ok,but i'm worried about the people,that have nowhere to go..It was said,that the authorities would arrange for them to be sheltered,and most were,but 13 people died from the cold regardless...:(:( There was a kind old woman,very intelligent looking,crying so hard,that she had nowhere to go in the freezing cold....She was sheltered for now,and given warm soup,but i could not stop crying after watching that report...:( It's heartbreaking.Makes you feel your heart will burst.I try not to think about the animals outside also...There's a case i'm following-a little sweet puppy out in the cold.She made the first freezing night,but i've not heard if she survived the second...:( Hope i hear from the people soon...Hard times...But this will pass.Spring is absolutely gorgeous here.Just praying for the souls outside-people and animals...
Oh,and a question.Would schools where you are close in these temperatures?Because poor kids here go to school in this weather.It's warm in schools,the authorities say.Ok,it is.But do children magically appear in the classroom?And school starts at 7.30 here.So kids have to get out when it's coldest..Pure torture.My mom's a teacher and she was furious-a sick 14 year old kid was made to come to school with fever in the cold,because he had to be examined for a mid-term grade..I mean come on!:uhoh::uhoh:
Anyway,one can always find warmth and comfort here.Thanks.:)

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I was reading about your weather yesterday. As to school, when I lived in Leavenworth, Kansas we had 50 below zero and there was school. There are no school buses, your parents drove you or you walked. A man picked up a five year old walking, in a skirt, to school. There were warnings about how many seconds until you had frostbite. The man took the little girl to the principal and told him to call the police about his picking up the child, he would call AP news and make it worldwide news of how they were endangering the children. School was closed for several days until it warmed back up to 'normal' winter temperatures.

My van was in an unheated garage. I had to buy a new battery. The only way to keep a battery from permanently dying was to take it out and bring it inside. The intense cold not only killed the battery, but killed it totally dead, so you had to go buy a new one.

I hope the puppy found a warm place or someone took it in.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow..Apparently schools are strict everywhere..In my opinion,it's ok to put education high as a priority,but children's health should come first.I know,there are places,where half of the winter is with such extreme temperatures,but again-this weather can be dangerous.There are no school buses here also.Parents mostly drive the kids to and from school.But when school ends,most parents are at work,so the kids walk home,if it's close,or take city transport.Younger kids are picked up by grandparents often.There are also families,that do not own a car.Not many now,but there are.So it's waiting in the cold for the bus/subway,tram. It's not pleasant at all.
As for the puppy-i'm very worried.Haven't heard from the people that feed it for a second day now...Hope she is ok.She was even offered a foster home,and they were searching for transport,because it's very far.It would be a shame if we lose this baby..I'm anxious..:(

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The puppy was SAVED!!! :appl: It will be transported to a foster home and looking for a furever home!:)
Otherwise,it was so much warmer for 2 days,but we got snow again,more snow is expected tomorrow,and this week's middle will be freezing again-(-15)C, 5 F.Soo...winter continues here.I love snow so much,but i can't wait for the gorgeous spring to come!Brrr...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
:)
Oh,and a question.Would schools where you are close in these temperatures?Because poor kids here go to school in this weather.It's warm in schools,the authorities say.Ok,it is.But do children magically appear in the classroom?And school starts at 7.30 here.So kids have to get out when it's coldest..Pure torture.My mom's a teacher and she was furious-a sick 14 year old kid was made to come to school with fever in the cold,because he had to be examined for a mid-term grade..I mean come on!:uhoh::uhoh:
Anyway,one can always find warmth and comfort here.Thanks.:)
Are you kidding?!!!!! Oh my goodness. Here everything stops for much much much less snow. Schools shut, trains stop or delay, busses stop, everything stops! Everyone has to listen to the radio and check websites in the morning if snow is forecast to see if the school is shut and we are not talking about snow like yours!!! Or temperatures like yours! Poor children, thats crazy. Theres cold and theres COLD!!!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Brrr! The weatherguys over here are saying Europe has gotten Canada's winter this year...I don't envy you at all!

Stay warm! Layers are your friend. Ranger has little fleece booties and a jacket for extreme cold (he doesn't have much coat). Put on gloves, toque, scarf and boots when you go out for a walk, even a quick one. I tend to break walks down more in the winters. Instead of 45 minute walk, it's 3 15 min walks. Keeps us warmer!

·
2,472 Posts
the Pudden and her Mama had the coldest January on record in our town; it was 30 to 40 F below for most days for 6 weeks.

Now it's ridiculously warm - 30 F above. One afternoon it warmed up from minus 40 to plus 30 in 24 hours.

The Pudden goes skiing in the moonlight with her Mama even at 40 below. When it's that cold, Mama puts booties on the Pudden's feet-feetz so they won't get frostbitten. But otherwise the Pudden is fine as long as we keep moving. Mama has to wear all her down stuff and her fur hat, but otherwise actually enjoys the cold.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) The Pudden is a cool sled dog(by night-a bed dog),we can't compete with her.Somehow,i had the feeling it would be colder where the Pudden is...;);) We are also considering buying boots for one certain Bell person,so his feet are warm,but i think he might not like the idea.It's now starting to warm up here.19 f already.We're hoping not too fast,because we got so much snow,that another flood is possible.Fingers crossed spring comes peacefully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts