Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been leaving Cedar out for a while now when we go out.. She has been a pretty good dog. We are pretty good about picking anything up that she would chew while we are gone..

Well 2 weeks ago she decided that my fiances $100 snow boots that I JUST Bought him for Christmas would be an excellent chew toy.. She chew the top corner right off.. They were still wearable...

We then started locking her up in the kitchen again... Well tonight I had to run to walmart to grab something and forgot to lock her in the kitchen.. I came home and she destroy the rest of his boot.. I am so angry at her right now.. She is hiding upstairs cause she knows how mad I am..
But I know its my fault.. I should have locked her up, or put his boots somewhere else.. and I didnt catch her in the act of actually doing it so I cant really punish her. But boy does she know she was bad.. As soon as I came in she ran passed me and outside..
His boots are now unwearable.. I just spent $100 for them for Christmas, and I was so excited to give them to him, and now they are destroyed and I have to go spend some more money on new ones.. and just to top it off, they were on sale when I bought them, and now they arent!!
I am so mad at myself I want to cry..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I have a door to my front hall, so Rookie never had access to my shoes. But I had a somewhat similar experience. When Rookie was a pup, he chewed through one of my apple power cords. The magsafe power cords cost $80. A few weeks later, he chewed through another one! He hasn't bothered them since, but when he was in that crazy chewing stage, I spent $160 on power cords.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, he still has one good boot.

See, the glass really is half full.

Seriously, That does stink. I would be pretty livid if that happened to me, twice.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Once Cedar got a taste of that good leather, you were doomed. Sorry she chewed them. My Beau chewed my husband's favorite docksiders all broke in to his foot. And now it is one of our most prized possessions. Keep it for a reminder to never leave tasty things out. Leather is a big one. It is that smell of cow. LOL

·
3 goldens
12,184 Posts
Our sweet Honey ate ALL of my hubby's leather wallet except for the picture section and a tiny piece of gauze lining. At the same time she chewed the corners off his Visa car and his driver's license, ate peices of paper with friends and families phone number. HOWEVER she didn't eat the cash nor his compnay credit card nor a couple of vital things.

Then a few months later she ate an entire leather glove Hubby had left it on patio when he came in to eat. And she chewed a few inches off a leather belt I had in a pile of stuff to give away. Something aboug dogs and leather I guess. Now we m ake sure NOTHING leather is left where she can get it--and she is 8 years old and should know better!

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
I know you are upset, but you will find another pair of boots that are the best ever : )

Your pictures are examples of what happens when boredom sets in. We have all had a little of that here and there. I am pleased that the "distressed" look is in. That would be my kitchen - "distressed". Perhaps I should post a picture of my kitchen chair legs. I have my eye on a new set. We have had that old set for 24 years and it has markings from not just the puppies, but our children who outgrew some behaviors, too : )

The boots are just boots - there is nothing you can do about them now. Go for a good walk with your pup and you will feel a lot better. Eventually, the chewing stops. For now, I would hide the next pair : )

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
When i first had my Sadie she chewed up my work shoe's my boots and lots more things :uhoh: but i should not have left them out like you i felt cross but it was my fault really.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We went through so many remote controls with Jake--and we still thank whoever it was that invented the Universal Remote. Saved us from having to contact the manufacturers of our TV, VCR--you name it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
she was probably very happy eating the boot...if that helps.

Poor boot. It's very frustrating as you can try and prevent most...but they always get something.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wishful thinking if you could buy just the one she ate. Or sell the one left on ebay to another golden owner whose golden ate that one but not the other. Bummer!!
This is a true story...

About 13 years ago, when Ruby was a pup, she shredded one of my young son's Nike sandals. My wife threw the other one away and went out and purchased the identical sandals to replace them. Two weeks later, Ruby shredded another one.... opposite foot :doh:. We would have had a complete pair had we hung onto the first one.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My son used to get mad when Danny or Jasper would chew on his shoes or eat his shoelaces. I told him if he had picked them up, they wouldn't have gotten eaten. He eventually learned. I guess because we foster puppies, it's just a habit to not leave anything chewable laying around.

There is a company that does sell just one shoe. It is aimed towards people who have had foot surgery or have had an amputation. Maybe you could donate the boot to them. They would love it, I'm sure!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Oh no! Things like this happen to us about once a week. Thankfully Molson hasn't gotten into anything super expensive yet! The latest though, was my eye glasses :no: last week... They were on the coffee table in the basement and I was in the laundry room right next to it folding clothes. Molson left the laundry room and things went quiet 20 seconds later. I run out and he has my glasses in his mouth! The lenses are in NO condition to be used again, and he chewed on the frames so far beyond repair. Worst part is, they were only 6 months old and my insurance only covers 1 pair every 2 years!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
That does suck I am sorry. It could be worse though...

My lab Belle ate our BRAND SPANKING NEW COUCH!!!!!! We were trusting her because she showed NO interest in chewing things except her toys any more. She was about a year old at the time too. The couch was delivered on Friday, and Monday after work it was stuffing ALL over my living room. We had popped the cushions like we always did to keep the old dog off the couch. We suspect the new smell attracted her, then she saw the decking tag. Belle had a tag fetish at the time. Talk about MAD!!!! My husband was the first one home his face was SO red. I wish we had taken a picture but we were not thinking that. To lighten the mood after a few I asked my husband if it was the tag that said do not remove under penalty of the law.

It is frustrating. They do grow up eventually.

Ann

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Oh I get angry when Max destroys something that upsets me. Like Leif's Birth thingy from the hospital - you know, a one of a kind thing. Certificate of birth. I think it's one of a kind... I should call and ask. I hope that he senses that I am angry and gets what he did to make me angry. Is it wrong to tell your dog he is a bad dog? Hmm, well I do that but I tell him he is a good dog all the time when he is being good. If I say bad dog he understands that whoops, I did something wrong. If I say bad dog and I'm angry, he hopefully gets that was a big whoops. I never hit or threaten Max and I get over my angry quickly because I know he doesn't know better, I chalk it up as my fault, we learn we move on. It's okay to get angry - just don't hold onto it. At least, that's what I think!!

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
Lol.... I own about 3 pairs of the same kinda shoe because Simon liked my heels.
I would be good about putting them up for a little while and then I'd forget. Duh!
Three pairs later, I still have a left and a right, but i'm pretty sure they are not the original pair.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts