Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see quite a few posts about grooming that went too far etc and it got me thinking. I've never had a full groom done on Luna. Don't really know if that just makes me more of naturalist or kind of a bad dog mom. She gets baths at her daycare and they trim her nails and clean her ears. I brush her and she doesn't have any mats.. when I do find a tiny mat (by her ears) I carefully trim them out. I guess this is mainly a preference issue but I'm a little unsure of what exactly a groomer is suppose to do when cutting a golden's hair? I love all of Luna's decorations / extra floofs so I don't get it.

I tried to find pictures of her at an angle where you can see her coat but it was pretty tough. These are not good pictures of her coat because they were taken after a bath so her ridge line looks much fluffier/lumpier than normal - her coat doesn't lay back down normally for a week or two after a bath (I swear I think they blow dry her hair backwards). What would a groomer trim on her? Would her front leg feathers be considered too long? Or her butt fluffs or something?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think her coat looks fine. My dogs have never been to a groomer. I am the only person who has ever groomed or even bathed them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mostly feet and ears. I just barely clip tails and feathers. Basically neaten them up. I don’t cut their tails like conformation people do. My girl has a beautiful tail with lots of hair and it gets bushy if I cut it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I do my own grooming, but I don't really do much. I do paws regularly, ears when they get bad (lol), and occasionally his tail if I really feel like he looks scraggly. He's got a ratty tail and trimming it makes his tail look fuller (his breeder showed me how to clean up his tail). Otherwise, he swims often so I don't really bathe him regularly either. He's not very heavily coated and doesn't tend to mat easily, so I don't do much brushing. His ear fluff and his butt feathers are the most prone to tangling especially after swimming, so I just run my fingers through them after he swims and whenever I think about it otherwise.

His paws usually look ok after I'm done with them, but I'm still trying to figure out the ears. I have learned not to take as much off in one go, I've made him look all kinds of ugly before.

·
Kate
20,875 Posts
It's tough to tell from those pics - she's too far away to see? With goldens in general only trim ears, feet, and tail. For older dogs you can trim undercarriage and bib (thin out and shorten the fur), but that's not an issue with your dog.

If you look at the thread that Tangerine posted - where she was asking for tips on shampoos? I posted pics of my Jovi showing how SHAGGY he was on Thurs when I broke down and got it done. He's a young dog so possibly when he's shaggy, it's not apparent to other people - especially if they haven't seen him when he's all cleaned up. Ideally when trimming a golden, you don't want them to LOOK like they've been trimmed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so it sounds like the general standard for grooming a golden is quite minimalist anyway. Which is a good thing IMO because I like the way they naturally look.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I have never taken one of mine to the groomer. For the first 2 I only ever trimmed the bottom of their feet and nails. Rukie has a thick show boy coat so I did break down and get some thinning shears for his ears. I also trim his tail and I have totally messed up the hair on his paws. They are a disaster. All of mine had a bath about once a month.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,640 Posts
You can keep them however you wish as long as you brush them out and get the loose hair out and keep them from getting mats.

I personally do my own grooming as well. I use thinning shears on ears and top of feet and straight scissors on tail (to shape and take the dead ends off) and the underside of the feet. In a weeks time the tail will look normal/shaggy on the ends again.

Oh, and I would NEVER EVER let a groomer touch a golden. 99.9% of them have no clue how to groom/trim a golden.

·
Kate
20,875 Posts
Oh, and I would NEVER EVER let a groomer touch a golden. 99.9% of them have no clue how to groom/trim a golden.
At least interview them first.

Many/most professional handlers and breeders are also groomers at groomer shops. Depending on who they are, would trust them to know how to groom a golden and make it look like a star. <= And probably a bigger deal right now than ever since many pro handlers are out of a job until maybe May.

Many people at general groomer shops though... unfortunately do not have a clue what they are doing. They have a puppy cut trim for everything.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My boy has never been to a groomer. My decision came after I planned on taking him for his first ever visit around two years old. When I was making the appointment on the phone the groomer asked if he had ever been groomed to which I replied, no but was not at all matted or dirty. We set the time and date (a few days off) and before we hung up he suggested that I do not feed him the night before or morning of his appointment. I asked why and he said a first time dog could possibly get sick or poop himself from being nervous which would result in him having to be bathed again. Since it was the first time I had ever brought a dog to a groomer I left the appointment scheduled. When I started asking around of people familiar with these things all told me that they had never heard of such a thing and one even suggested that the groomer may have been planning to sedate the dog since vomiting is not that uncommon a result, I immediately cancelled my appointment. I am not for a moment suggesting that this is representative of the grooming business but it put enough of a scare in me that because of it I learned how to take care of all the grooming myself and leave it at that. With the exception of the dryer everything we need fits into a small bag and I consider grooming a great way of bonding with David, there are parts of it that he really doesn't like but I also think he understands how helpful some of it is, such as trimming his pads. Short of it is, I do scissor him only as needed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't take my Golden to a groomer. At eleven months old, she has become very comfortable with the brushes, (pin and slicker) and carding knife. The motorized table, not so much..YET!
She is quite the suspicious type and takes a long time to "trust" a new object.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I haven’t gone to a groomer in many years. The last time I did my Golden looked like a fluffy lab when I picked her up. Unhappy doesn’t cover how I felt. She is still “the best groomer in town”. I’m sure she does good work, but no idea how to do a Golden.

I trim feet fairly often. I like clean shaped feet. I’m not great at it, but it’s good enough for me. I try to keep ears tidy. Duke is getting older so I use thinning shears a little on his chest area.

I start brushing and handling everything as soon as I pick up a puppy. Both my guys love to be brushed. They also love the blow dryer.
I would love to have a groomer I trusted locally but I don’t.

·
4,725 Posts
My bootiful Honey, as I call her, has never been to a groomer and has that wild, carefree look that I love, especially the fluffy ears and Grinch feet. She hare a bath and usually runs and hides at the mere mention of it. Yesterday she made big strides and peeked around the shower curtain to watch me wash my hair!
P1050239.JPG

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I started asking around of people familiar with these things all told me that they had never heard of such a thing and one even suggested that the groomer may have been planning to sedate the dog since vomiting is not that uncommon a result, I immediately cancelled my appointment.
Yeah, I'd probably be willing to get charged with assault if someone sedated Luna without my permission. Only kind of kidding. I hope that groomers never actually do that although I have to say I could imagine an inept or scared groomer using a little stockpile of an oral human or veterinary sedative. Either way, I would've canceled too because I would expect a groomer to know to stop before a dog gets stressed out enough to vomit.

My bootiful Honey, as I call her, has never been to a groomer and has that wild, carefree look that I love, especially the fluffy ears and Grinch feet. She hare a bath and usually runs and hides at the mere mention of it. Yesterday she made big strides and peeked around the shower curtain to watch me wash my hair! View attachment 870948
I love it! She's got a lot of decorations and that's what floofs are for IMO. She's very bohemian chic with her wild carefree girl look. She's also very brave to overcome her aversion to the shower to make sure mom's ok in that terrible place.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I have never taken my dog to a groomer. Either of my dogs. I brush my girl regularly (like, most days she gets a quick brush), I trim her paws and keep them neat and pretty (I pay someone to trim her nails) and I trim her ears (getting better at it...). She gets a bath when she is dirty or smelly, which is rare.

·
the party's crashing us
4,190 Posts
Your golden appears to have a very correct coat, so other than some tidying up around the ears and feet she shouldn't need more than the occasional bath and brush.
Unfortunately the trend to buy from a "responsible breeder" mean that many people are buying from show breeders and the penalty they pay for that is an unmanagable, unwieldy, profuse coat that is impossible to keep on top of with just the cursory home groom. These dogs really do need to be groomed professionally, or at least by someone who knows what they are doing.
I wish these breeders would select for a proper working coat like your girl has, rather than what looks like a lush full coat on an 18 month old dog, can be sculpted into a work of art for the show ring, and that which goes to hell when neutered and allowed to go to seed in a pet home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see quite a few posts about grooming that went too far etc and it got me thinking. I've never had a full groom done on Luna. Don't really know if that just makes me more of naturalist or kind of a bad dog mom. She gets baths at her daycare and they trim her nails and clean her ears. I brush her and she doesn't have any mats.. when I do find a tiny mat (by her ears) I carefully trim them out. I guess this is mainly a preference issue but I'm a little unsure of what exactly a groomer is suppose to do when cutting a golden's hair? I love all of Luna's decorations / extra floofs so I don't get it.

I tried to find pictures of her at an angle where you can see her coat but it was pretty tough. These are not good pictures of her coat because they were taken after a bath so her ridge line looks much fluffier/lumpier than normal - her coat doesn't lay back down normally for a week or two after a bath (I swear I think they blow dry her hair backwards). What would a groomer trim on her? Would her front leg feathers be considered too long? Or her butt fluffs or something?

View attachment 870940
View attachment 870941 View attachment 870942 View attachment 870943

View attachment 870940

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 870940

View attachment 870940
She is beautiful. We bathe our dog at home. I've only taken her to a groomer for a sanitary trim.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts