Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding snow boots for Goldens.
We live in serious snow country and have over 20 inches on the ground.
My 14 month Golden pup LOVES the snow and diving for snowballs in the deep drifts and plow wakes.
Sometimes he starts when we are playing but he gets ice- snow buildup between his paws- pads. Does anyone else have this problem, and would you recommend booties?
Our Other dog is a Lab ( short hair) and Trinian is my 1st Registered Golden. Welcome any responses !!

·
Registered
292 Posts
We also have this problem with Cooper, we live in the mountains, and have had buckets of snow this year. We've tried booties, and they work great for extreme cold, but my experience is that with deep snow, the booties just fill up like their paws do! We actually had our first emergency vet visit this winter after he cut his pad on something outside during a storm. The vet basically said if he's comfortable outside, he's fine, and just to clean him up as he comes in. If he gets uncomfortable, he'll stop playing. does your golden seem bothered by the snow? Cooper doesn't seem to mind 'til he is back in the house, then tries to pick the snowballs out of his feet.
Sorry for not being able to help more, we love our booties, but have found that deep snow is not the best match for them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dog has the same issue. I recently purchased Musher's Miracle Wax ($17.00) because I heard really good things about it on this board. I plan on using it this evening, wehn I am taking her on a hike. I will let you know how it works.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
Musher's Secret (musher's wax) works pretty good at keeping the ice balls under control.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I also notice that the problem is MUCH worse if the hair between Rookie's pads is getting a little long. I would say your first step should probably be to trim back the hair on the bottom of his paws as much as possible. Then there is less for the snow to cling to.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I bought these boots for Pippa and they work great. http://pawzdogboots.com/ . I had contemplated these last season but was worried about the durability, etc. However a couple weeks ago it snowed here and our sidewalks were covered in salt and ice and Pippa's paw pad got cut and she was limping around, etc. I asked my friend at Golden Rescue if she's knows of any good boots and she told me these are the only boots that have ever worked well for her dogs. The dogs can feel the ground through them and they don't walk weird like in most other boots. One package lasts her the whole season. When we come inside from a walk I just run the boots under the tap to rinse the dirt and salt off and then lay them to dry. They are great! I got 3 pairs for $18 Canadian. The boots stay on really well as they are rubber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts