Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Snow between toes

6K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Goldens&Friesians 
#1 ·
Hello!

I'm relatively new to owning dogs. I live in a cold climate that gets a pretty decent amount of snow. My golden retriever, Jasmine, loves snow, but hates it when the snow gets stuck between her toes. Is there is a way to prevent this? Can I trim the fur between her toes? If so, is there a method to it?

I'd take her to a groomer if I had to, but I'm trying to save money for a house, so if I'd prefer to do it myself if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, you can trim the fur between Jasmine's toes. You should be able to find a clipper at Target, Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens for under $25. We found that a clipper with less power actually worked better for this as there was less vibration. It tickles the toes a little bit while trimming, but really eliminates the "snow balls" that build up between the pads.

I wouldn't be comfortable using a scissors between the pads, but here is a Youtube video that demonstrates trimming fur on a dog's feet using both a clipper and scissors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPuaotli6I

Maybe someone here who has done a lot of grooming will have some other suggestions!

#3 ·
#5 ·
I trim the feet weekly using scissors - they can trim quite close without risking razor burn and don't have the whole noise/vibration thing going on. Trimming weekly allows all but one of my dogs to run freely in the snow :) My boy that still collects ice balls benefits from Mushers Secret, or I just clear his feet as needed.

Reactions: 02pinetree
#10 ·
My last golden Ginger used to get show between her paws all the time. She would stop and lift her paw wanting me to get the snow out. It was hilarious. She was a 95 pound female and her paws were huge. I used to trim her paws with scissors all the time. She didn't mind at all. There are paw mittens you can buy. I never did that, but it's an option.

#11 ·
I'm a groomer and I agree with what others have said: trimming feet and Musher's Secret are great! To trim the feet I use a clipper with a 30 or 15 blade on the bottom of the foot (If you are inexperinced with clippers, I would recommend using the 15 blade or even a 10 blade as it is far less likely to cut or razor burn than a 30 blade). Then I hold the foot and use a slicker brush to brush against the top of the foot to make all the hair between the toes stand up. Using a scissors, I trim the excess hair off the top of the foot. Then I use my fingers to pull up any left-over hair between the toes and trim it off. Make sure when using a scissor that you always know what you are cutting before you chop-I've seen many dogs come in with horrible injuries because the owner tried to cut out a mat or someting and cut the dog. P.S. the youtube video someone else posted was a prety good visual aide to help you learn how to do this. Its not real hard once you get the hang of it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.