Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

Has anyone had experience with their GR that sneezes (blows air out of nose, not achoo ;) and sounds like sporatic sucking in air through nose, similar to sucking in air before a big sigh? A little hard to explain. Eating, playing and no fever. Thanks so much. :wavey:

·
Kate
21,681 Posts
Does she do it a lot or has this just started?

I'd bet on reverse sneeze/cough (it can be a condition or a virus) from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She just started it on Wednesday. Incidentally, my Papillon is doing much the same thing and I read up on the 'reverse sneeze.' How would I determine if it is a reverse sneeze or a virus? Maybe they both have a virus....hehe. I made an appt. for her tomorrow morning. It seems like I am at the vet too often :wavey:.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady will occasionally reverse sneeze - but when I mean occasionally, I mean once - twice a year. It can sound kind of scary.

If both your dogs are doing daily, it might be kennel cough. I would call the vet and see what they recommend.

Brady had kennel cough - a slight case - even though he had the vaccine. The vet did not treat it but in some cases it can get serious.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!

We decided to take Amber to the vet to find out what is going on. Basically, a virus similar to a cold. No treatment unless she has a colored nasal discharge, ges off of her feed or gets worse. We got her chipped at the same time, so money well spent.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Amber

Please keep us posted on how Amber is.
The vet didn't think she could have kennel cough did they?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He didn't think it was kennel cough. I have had a couple of dogs catch that and she doesn't have a cough or gag.

Nasal mites............ummmmm, I didn't know about those.......:eek:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts