Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Snails...?

927 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rictic 
#1 ·
Morning All,

Does anyone know if snails can be poisonous to dogs..? I found Shankly with a snail shell in his mouth this morning.. No sign of a snail but it has been raining all weekend so it could be that there have been some around.. We dont put slug or snail repellant down (well havent since last summer before we had him) and he seems fine hes been playing and eating since.. Just heard a rumour they are poisionous to dogs and it can be fatal.. :(. I have searched the internet but nothing concerete some people say yes some people say no unless the snail was diseased himself..

Has anyone had any experience of snails related illnesses...?

#2 ·
we have just had a leaflet from the vets about lung worm carried by slugs and snails
so theres one to look out for
as for whether they are poisonous birds and hedgehogs eat them so I guess they cant be too bad
unless like you mentioned they have eaten slug pellets then I dont know how toxic they would be to dogs
you may be worrying over nothing though and Shankly just found an old empty shell ;)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reassurance, I have just spoken with the vet and she said as long as he is upto date with his flea and worming treatment and hes only the 1 then he should be fine, but to keep a close eye on him and if he starts acting differently then to bring him in and take it from there. I feel a little bit better now but im gonna watch him like a hawk for the next day or so now...!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.