Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello to all my fellow golden lovers!
I have a question about snacking.
My puppy is 10 weeks old. She eats 1/3 cup of food 3 times a day. Only a few pieces of the kibble are left behind and she is super enthusiastic about eating:)

During the day she likes to snack like everyone else. I tried all the snack suggestions from this sight with great success. She loves carrots, mashed banana, healthy edibles nylabone puppy treats, and all natural pizzle stix with supervision. She is so nippy with the teething so I provide her with a variety of textured toys, a frozen washcloth and an ice cube in the evening.

People suggested Cheerios, Apple slices, yogurt, sweet potatoes so I picked these up today, but we haven't tried them yet.

Can they have a variety of snacks each day? She seems to like everything but peanut butter.
I like to give her a snack between meals, very small tastes. Is this ok with their puppy bellies? We have had no problems fortunately. I avoid snacks with wheat. I only want to feed her healthy snacks.

So, can she have a variety in small amounts?
Thanks for responding. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions that I get here everyday since I brought her home:)

Attachments

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Couple of points to consider. If you're trying to potty train a puppy, the snacking throughout the day may not help establish a toileting routine. If I read your email correctly you're puppy is eating/snacking at least 5x per day.

I'm not sure what your breeder and/or vet advised to be feeding the puppy, however it may be that you need to feed your puppy more kibble. For example, my two were expected to be between 65-75lbs at adult weight and at 8 weeks they were being fed more puppy food per day than you are currently feeding your 10wk old. Of their daily food allotment, I used a portion of it as training treats throughout the day. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Sadiegirl128

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is on Orijen large breed puppy food. She enthusiastically eats it unlike her Purina puppy chow that she barely touched.
She eats a full heaping 1/3 cup at each meal, which the package recommends for her weight.
She is very active, loves to play and run around and nip like crazy. The snacks and toys help with that.

I was more concerned with being ok with giving a variety of different times in a day. Like a carrot stick in the morning, a chew stick in the afternoon, and mashed banana in her kong when I go out.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
First of all........your puppy is gorgeous! Love her eyes.
Regarding her snacks you seem to have a great routine. I give my boy everything you stated and also peanut butter. No stomach problems. I also get marrow bones from my butcher. Maybe one a week. I re-use the bones and stuff and freeze them with all sorts of veggies, rice, broth, eggs, yogurt, sardines, etc. It's a good dog sitter.
It takes a while but you'll be able to gauge what she likes and tolerates.

·
Registered
596 Posts
We didn't have any rules about when or what to give our dog. She has always gotten treats throughout the day and we never had any issues. I do try to avoid sugar though. You can make your own treats too.

I agree that you want to make sure that she gets the full amount of her kibble in order to give her the nutrition she needs. Other than that, if the puppy is at a healthy weight, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said but would like to add something that I've learnt with our pup. Our pup had healthy stools in the morning and progressively throughout the day they would get looser and looser. He also has had ear infections, and scratches his bottom often. My first thought was that if it's an allergy to something, i shouldn't be giving him 500 different snacks and foods won't help me narrow down what the problem is. For this reason a lot of people say your treats should be close in ingredient components to the kibble you're feeding.

With that said, it seems like you're doing perfectly fine, if your pup doesn't seem to have any allergies, it's probably for his own good for him to learn how to eat different things :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baby Food??

Thanks everyone. The allergy concern was my worry if I gave her assorted treats throughout the day, between meals. I wondered if I would be able to figure out what may be causing a problem if one was to happen.
I get a good feeling now that I can continue doing what I am doing. I just wanted to be sure that mixing things up wouldn't be to stressful on her tummy. She goes nuts for her food and at 10 weeks knows exactly when I am opening her treat cabinet! She is so darn cute :D
She tried a couple of Cheerios today. After she tested out the new consistency, she gave it 5 stars:)
I need to find a good snack like that to put in her kong when I crate her when I run errands since she doesn't seem to like peanut butter, and mashed banana is getting pretty messy!
Thanks for all the tips. I would never give her sugar, so no worries there.

One other question, does anyone give baby food as a snack? I checked out some at the store that were interesting, like mashed bananas and sweet potatoes and yogurt & apples. Thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,691 Posts
Your pup is absolutely adorable.

Your asking about the baby food, if it were me, I would just buy the bananas, apples, sweet potatoes, what ever you're thinking about giving her instead of buying the baby food.

My two current Golden are 5 (Remy) and my girl Roxy is 9. My Bridge boy lived to be 15.5. I have always given my guys lots of fruits and veggies, basically whatever is in season.

Watermelons and Sweet potatoes are grown here locally, I have a produce field across the street from me where they are grown.

Most of the time I give the veggies raw, sometimes I steam them.

I usually just add the veggies or fruit to their meal, sometimes I give it to them as a snack or treat.

My guys love yogurt too. You can always put yogurt into a Kong and freeze it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In regards to the kong filled w/ peanut butter, I actually found that peanut butter makes Max's poops softer, so I stuff his Kongs with kibble and "seal" the opening with just a little but of peanut butter. He loves it :)

Max's other crate-time snack is two tablespoons of pumpkin and some chopped up carrots, all in his bowl. I'm starting to have to add space to the crate just for his food bowl / crate snacks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas. I will try the frozen Kong idea too.

Are there any vegetables or fruit that should be avoided?

What do you think of the Cheerios and banana in the Kong?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I believe that onions, grapes and raisins are not good for dogs, possibly poisonous.

Sometimes freezing fruits and vegetables make a special treat for dogs, especially in hot weather. A frozen carrot, with supervision, could help soothe teething puppies.

She's adorable, by the way...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts