Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a post similar to this awhile ago... my pup still has some ear wax and odor. No scratching or head shaking. The last time the vet looked she said it was normal wax and not infected.

Is this normal in all goldens - that their ears have a smell? If I cup my hands in her ear canal, they are warm! She is eating Fromm surf and turf with white meat chicken as a topper (and sometimes the honest kitchen).

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Remy's is the same.. but only his right ear. We've had different vets check it multiple times and they all say it's fine and not infected. We clean his ears around once a week. His right ear gunks up with brown crud and smells after about 5-6 days. It always seems warmer to me as well. I don't have an answer for you, but you're not the only one!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
You might put a bit of vinegar on a cotton swab and gently clean the ear and upper canal weekly for a while & see if it makes the ear smell better. Vinegar seems to be good for just all-round cleaning. You might also look at the hair around his ears and see if the longer hair is stopping airflow. There are many threads here in the search item to see how to correctly trim the hair around the ears.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nala (16 weeks now) had the same smelly ear (specifically the right ear), and we took her to our vet. The vet said she had developed a yeast infection (fancy term for ear infection I believe) in which the vet prescribed some ear drops to put in daily for a week. Her ears are much better now after 7 days. The vet said they are fairly common with goldens and their floppy ears. Hope this helps!

Chris & Britteney's Nala

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
this sounds like either an ear infection (specifically a yeast infection) or possibly an allergy (usually brown coloured gunk and the ears being hot can be a sign of a food allergy).

·
Murdock's daddy
174 Posts
this sounds like either an ear infection (specifically a yeast infection) or possibly an allergy (usually brown coloured gunk and the ears being hot can be a sign of a food allergy).

I second this. But it is also important to just get in the routine of cleaning the ears on a regular basis, especially during warm and humid weather. We did it once a week and in 13 years never had an ear infection.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Brown gunk and smell are NOT normal. Definitely time to press the vet for more testing (at a minimum an ear cytology).

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I agree, it sounds like an infection or something, your dogs ears should not smell. I would have the vet revisit this issue!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts