Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have a two year old golden retriever. He’s pretty awesome, but a problem I have is that he smells so bad! Especially now that’s it getting warmer, it’s getting worse. He’s usually fine until about a week after his bath. I was using a dry shampoo until I realized that was probably part of the reason for his dry, itchy skin. What do you do to help your dog with their smell in between baths? Flynt, my dog, seems to have either really bad allergies or just prone to dry skin, so I need something that won’t dry him out at all! I’ve switched his food to a healthier one that usually helps dry skin and I’ve began to give him small doses of coconut oil. So, if you have any tips for dry skin, that would be helpful as well!

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
To be honest with you I tried dry shampoo maybe 35 years ago and I didn't like it. I bathe my dogs rather infrequently and probably have gotten used to any smells. Dog smell does not bother me.

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
do you ensure he is fully dry after his baths? when i think of smelly dogs usually the issue is yeast?

the dry shampoo might have been building up on his skin as they secrete natural oils to condition their skin and fur, so it might have stripped away his oils and causes the dryness.

If he has dry flaking skin... the issue could be ichthyosis, thats what comes to mind. this is a genetic condition that is lifelong but can be managed.

You can also include fish oil ( omega 3 & 6) to his diet.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Salmon Oil helps as will a wet shampoo. An oatmeal based product works well with Oscar. Definitely would follow up with your vet on allergies, as suggested.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Everyone has given great advice. I have a boy with ICT. I use a salmon based food. I think a good dog blow dryer has been my best investment for my dogs and my house. If you dry them after bathing it helps reduce shedding and you never have that dog smell. I bathe once every two weeks unless it’s swimming season. They will be swimming everyday soon and then it’s a rinse and blow dry daily. I also use a conditioner on them after bathing. My guys also line up to be blown off. They love it!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I too have a dog with ICT, and my routine is essentially the same as @DblTrblGolden2 ^^^

Denver gets bathed every 2 weeks with duoxo shampoo and mane & tail conditioner, and blown completely dry. When I blow dry him I make sure to really focus on areas that trap moisture...the back of his legs, his belly/groin and his bib (chest). Usually those are the areas that I notice can get smelly if they are constantly getting wet and staying damp. His ICT is for the most part under control, and you wouldn't even know he had it unless you looked really hard. I think swimming in fresh water helps a lot. He goes in the river at our house or the lake if we are at our lake house basically every day when it is warm out, and those days he gets a quick blow dry before bed to make sure he's 100% dry, and this keeps him from smelling.

·
Registered
13,213 Posts
Do you brush your dog regularly? If you don't, you should. It works wonders for keeping them clean and not smelly. I rarely bathe my dog. She gets dried off thoroughly after she swims or we are out in the rain, but she is also brushed almost daily.

Reactions: gdgli

·
Registered
945 Posts
Agree with the advice here. The only thing I would add is that a quality shampoo makes all the difference and I always dilute it down. Also, rinsing well is very important as well as drying.
Jules

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you ensure he is fully dry after his baths? when i think of smelly dogs usually the issue is yeast?

the dry shampoo might have been building up on his skin as they secrete natural oils to condition their skin and fur, so it might have stripped away his oils and causes the dryness.

If he has dry flaking skin... the issue could be ichthyosis, thats what comes to mind. this is a genetic condition that is lifelong but can be managed.

You can also include fish oil ( omega 3 & 6) to his diet.
honestly, I give him a good brush and towel dry and then we play outside for him to completely dry off. Maybe I should invest in a dog dryer??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts