Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm trying to get my puppy comfortable walking around in the neighborhood but he's just not getting it! Everytime we walk past a house with a dog barking at us, he FREAKS out. I'm gently pulling him and I don't want to do that since he's only 11 weeks old!!! We've been practicing and everyday is a struggle. What's going on here?!?

Woof,

Yuki

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is see if a friend or neighbor has a dog that will go for a walk with you. Bentley gets afraid of loud noises or loud cars on our walks but he looks at Ky and when he sees that the noise didn't bother her, he just keeps walking. He looks to Ky for alot of things, I'm thankful for Ky :)
Good luck, hopefully someone will come with better ideas for you.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
Welcome to the Group :)

I would try puppy play group, puppy kindergarden, and friends/neighbors with friendly dogs.

Reactions: goldenbowser

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
He's still adjusting to the world around him and the other dog barking at him scares him. Try to find a family/friend/neighbor with a friendly dog and introduce him to their dog. That'll help him in socialization and once he's older he won't be so scared. 11 weeks is very young, but good for you for exposing him to the outside world.

·
Dad to Bogey and Reese
1,121 Posts
Bogey was intimdated by neighbor dogs at 11 weeks. Actually had an off lease Shepard come at him fast while we where out walking. He went to the ground in fear. I warned the owner I was actually contemplating protecting my puppy by physically stopping her shepard. Anyway... Lawn mowers and other noisey "strange" things would stop him in his tracks at that age. I would just pick him up and reasure him it was OK. One month to 6 weeks later, he walks around the same enviroment without those 11 week old fears.

Every once in awhile a new sound will startle him but SAFE continued exposure is the key a happy laid back dog.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
He is a bit young and everything is a new experience to her. I would also recommend not to take him in the neighborhood or in pet-stores until he has all her vacs done. I would encourage only interaction with dogs that you know are up-to-date on their vacs. As he gets older he will overcome those fears with exposure to them. Our Rose was pretty much the same - now, at 15 weeks she enjoys the dogs in the neighborhood and plays with them at any occasion she gets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts