Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Smallest Golden Ever!

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Megora 
#1 ·
I have a female golden who is about 10 1/2 months old and...she’s 39 1/2 pounds!! The vet says she’s perfectly healthy. She did have a few issues with food in the very beginning but we got her on the right path with different kibble and she gained weight (though not very fast) and filled out quite nicely. She is a petite girl but I’ve never known a golden to be this small. She came from a very reputable breeder who told me their females don’t go much beyond 50 lbs. I’ve seen many owners post in this forum about their concerns regarding the size of their pets so I wanted to share my experience. I was nervous at first and worried something wasn’t right but...after she received multiple clean “bills of health“ from our trusted and long time veterinarian (who also owns goldens!) I have excepted she is perfectly normal. I’m sure many dogs have problems that might need to be addressed but in this case we are happy to say that just the way she is and she is a healthy pup! She’s not skinny, just small in stature. We adore her and she couldn’t be more charming! I think she will top out just over 40 lbs at some point when she is done growing. She will always look like a little puppy! A love bug.

#3 · (Edited)
We have a female puppy that is around 47lbs. She is shorter than the minimum on the AKC Standard for Goldens. She was bred as a field dog. Many field breeders prefer smaller dogs to protect their joints, since they are so active in the field. I see nothing to worry about with you pup....just enjoy the dog! Below our adult Fox (SH), on the right and her Mom and one brother...as you can see all smaller Goldens with shorter hair...
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#4 ·
My little red girl looks very similar to the dog above on the right. She is 20.5 inches tall and 45 pounds (at age 7 years). Bred from parents who were right smack in breed standard - she's just petite. Perfectly proportioned. I love her size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.