Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Daisy - 10 week old Golden Retriever
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Looking for some insight and advice on puppy’s size. We have a 10 week old golden and she currently weighs about 9.5 pounds. We got her at 8 weeks and she weighed 6.3 pounds. She had diarrhea when we brought her home, we took her to vet and found out she had 2 different parasites. Round worms and coccidia. She was treated with Drontol plus and a 7 day treatment of liquid Albon 5%. When I look at growth charts and average size, she has a long way to catch up. Is there anything extra I should be doing to help her catch up and is she still likely to reach normal adult size? She eats 3 times a day, totaling about 2.5 cups of Purina Pro Large Breed Puppy food, I mix in a small amount of the canned purina puppy food (wet food is included in her total amount being fed). Any thoughts or experience in this situation would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dog Road surface Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Dog breed Felidae Dog Carnivore Wood
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Flooring Floor

·
Registered
VeeVee and Gabby. We are so sad - we lost VeeVee to cancer on 3.2.2022. New puppy is Breezy
179 Posts
I can only compare her to our female. She was 9 weeks old when we got her from the breeder and she weighed 11.5 lbs. She gets 1 1/2 cups of PPP Puppy Lamb & Rice kibble total each day but we also give her that for treats so she probably gets more like 2 cups per day.

Apparently there can be great differences in weights at this early age. We are in a puppy class, and there is a male Golden who is about 16 weeks old as of now - and he weighs over 35 lbs. There is another male Golden in the same class who is one week older and he only weighs 22 lbs.

Have you checked the GRCA website for the Slow Grow plan by Rhonda Hovan?

Love that last photo of her!! What a cute little face!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Don't worry. She will grow into the size she's supposed to be. Both of mine were little puppies. They are at the small end of the scale but within standard.

Reactions: Aly0702

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hello! Looking for some insight and advice on puppy’s size. We have a 10 week old golden and she currently weighs about 9.5 pounds. We got her at 8 weeks and she weighed 6.3 pounds. She had diarrhea when we brought her home, we took her to vet and found out she had 2 different parasites. Round worms and coccidia. She was treated with Drontol plus and a 7 day treatment of liquid Albon 5%. When I look at growth charts and average size, she has a long way to catch up. Is there anything extra I should be doing to help her catch up and is she still likely to reach normal adult size? She eats 3 times a day, totaling about 2.5 cups of Purina Pro Large Breed Puppy food, I mix in a small amount of the canned purina puppy food (wet food is included in her total amount being fed). Any thoughts or experience in this situation would be appreciated. Thanks!
I wouldn't worry at all. She's not that far behind and she'll catch up. If you look at the hovan slow growth plan, at 10 weeks they'd want 12 lbs, so she's just a little behind. Sounds like you're feeding a good food and a good amount, so it's probably just a matter of time before she is on track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts