Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There, I said it. I'm trying to plan a trip down to Sarasota to see my folks, and of course I want to take Flora. Unfortunately their snooty condo association does not allow dogs of any shape or size, so I'm trying to locate a hotel nearby. Pretty much EVERY single hotel only allows "small pets under 20-30lbs," which I find really dumb. Small pets still pee, poop, and bark, many of them moreso than their larger counterparts. Furthermore, some of these hotels allow multiple dogs so long as they're under a certain weight, which is always below 40lbs. Really?! You won't allow a 55lb dog but you'll allow 2 40lb dogs? There is ONE hotel that has a weight limit of 75lbs, but that one requires a $150 non-refundable fee and is a pretty expensive hotel. Darnit. :no:

Stupid.

Sorry, had to rant. :p:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Oh crap, it says some restrictions apply to their pet policy. When are you going? Can you get her CGC beforehand? That seems to help sometimes.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Okay, La Quinta apparently allows pets up to 50 lbs. There is no deposit. They aren't going to make Flora get on a scale, I am sure. She is close to 50 lbs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. I was trying to find a condo in Sanibel Island and the one that I found that would take pets said "under 25 lbs." I really hate when people assume that if it's a big dog, then they can't be well behaved.

The funny thing is, one time we had to evacuate because a hurricane was coming and we headed to the panhandle area of Florida. Many hotels were taking in pets that don't normally because so many people had to evacuate. We stayed at the Jamison Inn. We had a crate for our dog and we also always kept our dog on leash around the property. They informed us that they had 1 room that had 2 "small" dogs that did about $2000 worth of damage to the room. The lady had told us that when they have a room that has damage from a dog, it's usually the smaller dogs. This hotel was full of dogs and all of the "big" dogs that I saw seemed calm and behaved. The "little" ones were the ones barking all the time.

Michele

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm in South Florida, and my husband and I have stayed on the West Florida coast a few times--lots of birding opportunities for him to take photos--also a nice dog beach and dog parks in the area.

Have you tried the La Quinta? I checked and they might have a "small dog policy" but I also know in Florida there is a "Great Recession" which really is going on throughout the entire country, and the hospitality industry is hurting. It would be worth a shot to call. My husband and I never had a problem in a La Quinta, even when traveling with two goldens, weighing 55 and 65 lbs.

Is Flora "titled/designated/certified" in some way? Our dogs were therapy dog certified and that always tugged at the heart strings of the motel/hotel managers--saying how they visited nursing homes on occasion and were well behaved. Does she have the CGC? (Canine Good Citizen?) We mentioned that--how they passed the various obedience steps outlined by the AKC. Or are you working on it? Attending obedience class on a regular basis and have certificates to show she "passed" obedience classes? Anything to show these managers--you'd be surprised what they can do, especially in a Recession when rooms aren't moving.

We got one Best Western in St. Pete that also had a small dog policy to accept our 65 lb golden after he got his last Companion Dog obedience leg for his CD title. We didn't have reservations and the trial was in Lakeland and we decided to drive to Tampa to celebrate at Bern's Steak House and stay the weekend. We told the guy that our golden just got a new obedience title and he was really well behaved and the manager said "what the heck" and made the reservation for us.

Keep trying. I also know what place you're talking about with the $150 deposit--Residence Inn, correct? They are nice, but you're right, expensive. La Quinta was $90 a night with no deposit, if I was looking at it correctly.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks to Msmarstar, I am a huge fan of La Quinta. They didn't even blink when I walked in with all three of mine followed by my parents with their 110 lbs dog.
Thanks that's good to know! I'll be traveling cross county when I move over the summer (with Maddie) and I was worrying about where I would be able to stay with her!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the help so far guys! I was planning on calling the La Quinta Inn because they allowed pets up to 50lbs... Lol, I figured they wouldn't weigh Flora, and she doesn't look like she weighs much more than 55lbs so I didn't think they'd give me too hard of a time.

Flora isn't certified in anything, but I've had her in a hotel before and she was totally fine. She did let out a few woofs at the people across the hall from us when they were shouting at each other at 3 in the morning, but that was it. She's a good girl.

Marieb, Drury Hotels are also great with pets. I stayed in one in Mississippi with Flora and they were 100% cool with her. Even provided me with poop bags. ;) However, they did stick me in the noisy part of the hotel (right above the pool), but that was really okay.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine with Flora with the 50 lb weight limit! I'm a little nervous about weight limits when I'm looking for a new place to live, but I think Maddie will pass as 50 lbs (even though she's maybe like 62 or so) and she's pretty petite looking.

But I definitely think it's annoying when places say, "small pets only," because I feel like sometimes small pets cause more problems. Thanks, that's good to know about Drury Hotels I'll have to look them up when I'm looking into travel plans!

Thanks for all of the help so far guys! I was planning on calling the La Quinta Inn because they allowed pets up to 50lbs... Lol, I figured they wouldn't weigh Flora, and she doesn't look like she weighs much more than 55lbs so I didn't think they'd give me too hard of a time.

Flora isn't certified in anything, but I've had her in a hotel before and she was totally fine. She did let out a few woofs at the people across the hall from us when they were shouting at each other at 3 in the morning, but that was it. She's a good girl.

Marieb, Drury Hotels are also great with pets. I stayed in one in Mississippi with Flora and they were 100% cool with her. Even provided me with poop bags. ;) However, they did stick me in the noisy part of the hotel (right above the pool), but that was really okay.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Those policies have always really bothered me as well. It took us forever to find an apartment complex that would allow a dog over 50 lbs - and I don't think anyone would be fooled into thinking Harley was under that, lol. I haven't had any experiences with hotel chains to help your search but goodluck - you will find something!!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure you'll be fine with Flora with the 50 lb weight limit! I'm a little nervous about weight limits when I'm looking for a new place to live, but I think Maddie will pass as 50 lbs (even though she's maybe like 62 or so) and she's pretty petite looking.

But I definitely think it's annoying when places say, "small pets only," because I feel like sometimes small pets cause more problems. Thanks, that's good to know about Drury Hotels I'll have to look them up when I'm looking into travel plans!
Drury is just a nice place to stay, imo. It's not super duper fancy or anything, but we got vouchers for free drinks, and I think starting in February they give you vouchers for free food too. Their breakfasts were complimentary and included waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, etc. Very nice.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Just checked the Hampton Inns in/near Sarasota, and they all say 'no pets allowed.' Wonder if their policy has changed? I stayed in a Hampton Inn in Tucson that definitely allowed dogs.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Drury is just a nice place to stay, imo. It's not super duper fancy or anything, but we got vouchers for free drinks, and I think starting in February they give you vouchers for free food too. Their breakfasts were complimentary and included waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, etc. Very nice.
Sounds good to me! I checked their locations and there are some on the route of where I'll be going, so I'll definitely keep them in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Best Western not only allowed one Golden in a room, but we had about 10 running around. People did have to pay more if they had a Golden Guest. LOL

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Kim,
Have you checked out any vacation rentals? With the economy in Florida the way its been, there are some great deals on condos and homes with super flexible pet policies.

here in Colorado, we usually find better deals on condos than we do on the hotel rooms, and you get much more space!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts