Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Bourbon is 2.5 years old and an active and energetic dog.

We recently found slight change in Bourbon's hair near his leg.

We comb his hair regularly with this brush: https://www.amazon.com/BV-Hair-Grooming-Brush-Bristle/dp/B0743XVCMX

Since he doesn't have a lot of fur, we haven't taken him for Grooming or Hair cut.

What is the reason for this hair change? What can we do to have an healthy hair?

We feed him Taste of the wild (salmon). Give him bath once in a month using EQyss Micro-Tek Pet Shampoo.

He sleeps on his dog bed/carpet only during the night. During the day he is mostly on laminated wooden flooring. Also we leave in the backyard (for an hour or two each day) and he lays on concrete floor for a bit.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Halloween Costume

·
Super Moderator
4,321 Posts
Would you post a picture of the changed area?

·
Super Moderator
4,321 Posts
Hmm. That seems a bit premature for a young dog. Doesn't look like his undercoat surfacing due to shedding. Do you know his parents? I would wonder if there is a genetic similarity that was passed on. I usually advise that any unexplained change should mean a trip to the vet. I am sure other forum members will weigh in!

Very adorable pooch!

·
Kate
21,767 Posts
To me it just looks like normal fuzzies. As dogs get older, especially if neutered/spayed - there are some small changes to the coat - especially on the legs. They grow this weird cottony stuff.

Dogs left intact get some of that as seniors.

It's not that concerning to me?

But if you see patches of dry or thinning coat? That's concerning. That could indicate both a diet issue and health problems. Or it is a dog whose coat needs more TLC. Those patches don't look dry or thinning? They just look fuzzy to me. Like fuzzies/frizzles as described above.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Agree..
The vet is always first choice for my dogs, with ANYTHING that appears out of the ordinary..

No one really knows what, if any internet contributors have in the way of actual credentials, or what their real motives are.:uhoh:

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Agree..
The vet is always first choice for my dogs, with ANYTHING that appears out of the ordinary..

No one really knows what, if any internet contributors have in the way of actual credentials, or what their real motives are.:uhoh:
That seems rather critical and uncalled for. Megora and the rest of the 'names' here are very known for their credentials.
We are not pet people but GR educators.

To the OP- the photo doesn't show anything odd but maybe if you post another and one of other side (which I am assuming is differently coated?) someone who knows dogs here can offer an opinion. IF the other side is same, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with Megora. I am a professional dog groomer and that looks to me like spay/neuter coat. Basically, its dead undercoat that isn't falling out-if you take hold of it with your fingers and give it a little yank, it'll pull right out. It won't hurt your dog to have it stripped out, though some dogs don't like the pulling sensation. I had to keep my spayed girl's spay coat stripped out or it would look like this too-she was so used to the grooming process, she didn't even know I was stripping it out. Dry skin/thinning coat would be something I would want to talk to the vet about-sometimes that can indicate thyroid or other issues. Dry coat could also be something as simple as not getting the shampoo thoroughly rinsed out from the last bath he had, but I would probably want a vet to take a look just to be safe.

Also, as a side note, if you take him to be professionally groomed, be very careful about terms you use. You mentioned "cut" in your post-I assume you just mean cut like a golden-feet and ears shaped up and nothing else cut off. However, there are a lot of groomers out there who will here the words "cut, haircut, trim, etc." and shave your dog completely-which is very bad for their skin and coat. I tell people who are looking for a golden groomer that they should ask the groomer if they will shave a golden. If they answer yes, that probably isn't a groomer you want to use. If they explain to you why its a bad idea to shave a golden, then they would be a good groomer to try.

I really love the Trophy Line Manely Long Hair grooming products (they can be purchased on their website). I use the shampoo, conditioner and detangler/polisher on every grooming client. I first discovered it when I was looking for a product to help my horse's super dry, brittle mane and tail. This stuff made her hair fabulous! I tried it on my golden and loved it so much that I switched over all my grooming products and now only use this stuff! So basically, wash with the shampoo, thoroughly rinse. Then do the conditioner, let it sit a couple minutes, rinse (though you don't need to rinse the conditioner quite as thoroughly as the shampoo). Then towel dry, then rub the detangler through the coat and finish drying with my dog blow dryer.

·
Super Moderator
4,321 Posts
Very true about shaving goldens. They have their coat for a reason. The double layers keep them cool in the summer and toasty in the winter.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies!

I verfied the health history of his parents and ancestors and they didn't have any issues. The other side of his legs has normal coat. Nothing out or ordinary there. That's the reason I was wondering maybe sitting on rough surface could have caused this. Anyways I will check with our vet when we go next time.

But he got neutered last december. I didn't think that neutering would cause changes to his hair. Thanks for the info!

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, as a side note, if you take him to be professionally groomed, be very careful about terms you use. You mentioned "cut" in your post-I assume you just mean cut like a golden-feet and ears shaped up and nothing else cut off.

I really love the Trophy Line Manely Long Hair grooming products (they can be purchased on their website). I use the shampoo, conditioner and detangler/polisher on every grooming client. I first discovered it when I was looking for a product to help my horse's super dry, brittle mane and tail. This stuff made her hair fabulous! I tried it on my golden and loved it so much that I switched over all my grooming products and now only use this stuff! So basically, wash with the shampoo, thoroughly rinse. Then do the conditioner, let it sit a couple minutes, rinse (though you don't need to rinse the conditioner quite as thoroughly as the shampoo). Then towel dry, then rub the detangler through the coat and finish drying with my dog blow dryer.
Yeah, I meant along the lines of Hair trim. Since we have never taken him to a professional groomer not sure if that was needed.

Thanks a lot for the grooming product recommendation.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't see any pictures? Just curious what it looks like.

·
Super Moderator
4,321 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't see any pictures? Just curious what it looks like.
See Post 1. If you don't see them you may need to clear your browser cache.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts