Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden retriever puppy Jake is now 8 weeks and 5 days. 7 days ago I took him to the vet and he weighed in at 4 pounds 6 ounces. I also got his fecal exam and everything is normal. I don't know his current weight but he does look a little bigger since last week. His mother was on the small side and his dad was a little bigger. Both parents are purebreed golden retrievers. His mom had 11 puppies but only 9 survived and Jake was the smallest one of them all but very independent and active. Is my little guy going to just be a small golden retriever ? Have you guys ever since a small golden retriever ? They were born on October 29, 2009

He is not skinny and vet said he is healthy and not underweight for his little body. He is a very active little guy.

Below is a picture of the parents, the mom is the one laying down with her head down.

The other one is a picture of all the puppies.

The one below is jake with his new toy he got yesterday.

Attachments

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Jake is a cute one....does look a bit small. I don't know about puppy size, I am sure someone can give you more information. Glad the vet said they look ok.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He looks alittle younger than 8 weeks old to me but so cute. He might be smaller but may make the weight up as he goes.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
He looks alittle younger than 8 weeks old to me but so cute. He might be smaller but may make the weight up as he goes.
I agree. Are you absolutely sure of his age? He looks like he's more around 5-6 weeks old to me. He's very cute though.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
His parents look normal size so he will probably catch up. Some just need alittle more time. : )

He sure is cute!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I too think that though right now, Jake is on the small side, I think he will catch up with his size. Both his Mom and Dad look to be within normal size range, and are both beautiful! I am sure your adorable little guy will be just perfect in size!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm looking at the photo of the litter taken at 5 weeks of age, and even your pup's siblings seem small. I realize this is a smaller litter, 9 pups compared to 6, but this is a photo that my husband took when we went to pick out our pup Mac at the age of 5 weeks (we were not allowed to bring her home until she was 8 weeks old). You're a good owner to bring your new pup to the vet and if all is normal, I would not worry--there are lots of check ups for add'l shots in the beginning of golden ownership so if you need your vet to check on something else at that time, you can ask.

Mac was the largest in the litter and for the longest time, her sister was taller and bigger--she only recently has caught up to her (the litter is now 20 months old). So size means nothing, and the smallest in the litter has sometimes gone on to be the biggest dog--just make sure to watch their weight--follow a slow growth plan--your breeder probably gave you a feeding program. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
If the vet is not worried, then try and relax. Scotty weighed 5.5 lbs when he came home at six weeks (I had sibling and breeder knew I would be home with a momma dog to help). He now weighs 75 lbs and I always worried that he would be small. Just wait. He'll catch up soon enough.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
This is waaaay off base and I'm not implying that your pup looks small but is there such a thing as dwarf dogs, little dogs or what ever the correct terminology is???

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the tread - but is such a thing possible?

Pete

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
When I took Tess home at 8 weeks, she was 12.7 pounds. She's now 12 weeks, and around 18 pounds (and skinny!)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Are you sure of his age? He looks healthy, just young, like maybe 8 weeks. Hank weighed 20 lbs. at 10 weeks. He gained 10 lbs. between 8 & 10 weeks. Here is a pic -

Attachments

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Update: Jake is 10 weeks today and now weighs 10 pounds ! Now hes getting bigger every day. Makes me feel a lot better. This is around normal weight for a 10 week old golden retriever puppy right ?

Sam was about 9lbs at 9 weeks, so sounds like your pup is catching up and about right in weight now. :)

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
He is doing really well as far as catching up goes :) Sounds like he is on the right track!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Ten pounds isn't bad. It sounds like he's gaining weight appropriately. Our new pup who is now just over 7 weeks old and is coming home this weekend already weighs 10 pounds, but both of his parents are very blocky and all of the pups in his litter are large. Tucker was also a large puppy, but I don't remember how much he weighed back then.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It looks like he is gaining weight and looks good. Might just be a smaller golden. He is a cutie.

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
This is waaaay off base and I'm not implying that your pup looks small but is there such a thing as dwarf dogs, little dogs or what ever the correct terminology is???

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the tread - but is such a thing possible?

To answer you question... When I was looking for golden info I did find this...

Golden Retriever Common Diseases & Disorders

In general, the golden retriever is a healthy dog with few medical concerns.... In addition, golden retrievers are prone to elbow dysplasia, dwarfism, osteochondrosis, atopy, underactive thyroid gland, von Willebrand?s blood disease and various cancers.In addition, golden retrievers are prone to elbow dysplasia, dwarfism, osteochondrosis, atopy, underactive thyroid gland, von Willebrand?s blood disease and various cancers.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Not sure what country you are in, but I have never seen or heard of Dwarfism in Golden Retrievers, much less as Goldens being "prone" to it, and I've been in Goldens for over 30 years. There is a condition in Labradors, tied I believe to an eye problem, that leads to dwarf Labs. I have seen a couple at the doggie eye doctor when I go there for clearances.

Not saying there has never been a dwarfed Golden, but I would not say they are "prone" to that condition. Of course with some "breeders" trying to breed miniature Goldens, who knows what they might end up with!

The dwarf Labs I have seen were immediately identifiable as not normal looking-they had the short, bowed legs, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts