Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say that every judge has something that "annoys" them when judging. What would your pet peeve be?

Mine would be slows sits!! When I see a dog come to a halt, I wanna see its butt tuck in and hit the ground, not stand there, and then finally sit. it is just something that annoys me.

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
All of above..lol!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Handlers compensating for their dogs

Reactions: Sunrise

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
You know, while I agree with Michelle. my biggest pet peeve is non-natural handling; there is one handler here who stops on the ball of her right foot and it is like waiting for a hydraulic lift for her heel to hit the ground brrrrr

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
My peeve goes right back to training....

In training - it's when people with slow dogs don't get the clue and put a leash back on their dog and actually TRAIN them to speed up and keep pace with them. There is somebody who goes to classes at one of the place I go, and whenever his dog lags, HE slows down and practically walks sideways trying to encourage his dog to speed up.

The fact is, people like this guy become the novice A trainers who have to endure that embarrassing walk around the ring while their dog is meandering somewhere else in the ring.

I guess when I see the lagging in the ring, I ALWAYS think about what must be going on when they train at home.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Cheaters, people who double handle and don't think people see... I can't believe they think they are clever enough that people don't see... Okay.. off my soapbox! ROFL..

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't like to see double handling during groups, in particular, out of sight groups. It is just plain cheating but it is done all the time.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Cheaters, people who double handle and don't think people see... I can't believe they think they are clever enough that people don't see... Okay.. off my soapbox! ROFL..
OOPS, we must have posted at the same time. Wise minds think alike....

Reactions: Titan1

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
You betcha!;):wave:...

There are a ton of people who are out there doing their thing.. honestly and kuddos to them.. But there are the ones who get away with things the rest of would not dream of even trying..because of whatever reason. I believe we all pay for the privilege of showing and should be judged fairly. I believe most judges do a wonderful job....

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You betcha!;):wave:...

There are a ton of people who are out there doing their thing.. honestly and kuddos to them.. But there are the ones who get away with things the rest of would not dream of even trying..because of whatever reason. I believe we all pay for the privilege of showing and should be judged fairly. I believe most judges do a wonderful job....
You mean the people who are suddenly sitting ringside when it is time for the open stays, or the people that don't cough all day, but suddenly cough loudly when their friend's dog is doing stays? I saw a very poor example of that at our last show! The judge actually turned around and looked at the person:)

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
You mean the people who are suddenly sitting ringside when it is time for the open stays, or the people that don't cough all day, but suddenly cough loudly when their friend's dog is doing stays? I saw a very poor example of that at our last show! The judge actually turned around and looked at the person:)
Too funny!! I actually saw this happening this past weekend - Novice stays but the dog was concentrating on the person who suddenly showed up outside the ring who had not been there during the individual exercises. I thought it odd, perhaps not so much.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Fake fasts. That's my pet peeve; when people barely accelerate on a fast ... especially when, instead, they take twice as many smaller steps w/o actually changing pace.

·
Registered
53 Posts
people constantly looking over there shoulder at there dogs as they lag more and more...
stopping or going really slow on the about turns to let there dog catch up....
lifting your legs really high on the fast but not going any faster.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
For me, it would be people who can't get their dog to set up smartly into heel position at the beginning of an exercise. It seems that a lot of people don't bother to train their dogs on what they should be doing between exercises!

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
For me, it would be people who can't get their dog to set up smartly into heel position at the beginning of an exercise. It seems that a lot of people don't bother to train their dogs on what they should be doing between exercises!
I agree with this...

Off topic, but it also reminded me of a head spin moment I had when I was at a fun match this summer and trotted into the ring to the start position.

The "judge" asked me what level (novice or open) and I told her novice.

And then she snidely commented that she thought I was a novice because I did a right 360 to get my dog into heel position. :eek: It caught me surprise and I didn't know what to say. Funny thing is I had perfect eyes-glued attention from my dog when she made that comment.

I didn't tell her I circled right because she was standing directly to my left. But there you go. :)

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Double handling in obedience is cheating. Two of the more common forms might be

A person outside the ring during the Out of Sight Stays that the dog knows and has sometimes even been trained by. This person acts as both additional confidence and almost a warning to the dog.

Someone sitting (or standing) near the go-out spot that the dog knows and has been rewarded or trained by.

It really is sad since the dog being double handled is not being given the opportunity to prove it has been trained to the level required, and is also not fair to the other exhibitors who play by the rules.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Double handling in obedience is cheating. Two of the more common forms might be

Someone sitting (or standing) near the go-out spot that the dog knows and has been rewarded or trained by.

QUOTE]

Hey I never thought to even look for that one.. We have one person in our area that if she sits there it is to screw the other dogs up..LOL!
Susan.. Sorry I missed that show!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It really doesn't bother me if someone posts a person outside the ring. As long as that person isn't any closer than the other spectators to the ring, and as long as they are just sitting/standing there. Once I saw a person outside the ring giving a dog sit signals during the stay. Now THAT I consider cheating.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have actually seen double handling on signals before.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts