Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
When you think about how dogs actually drink (gathering the water with the underside of their tongues like a ladle and catching most of it in mid-air) it's amazing they get any in their mouths!

Lily is pretty tidy - she drinks from the middle of the bowl. Fergus prefers to drink from the edge closest to him making a huge mess and lots of waves. My parents' golden is an interesting drinker. He kind of hooks his nose over the edge of the bowl furthest from him and then drinks against the side.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
When you think about how dogs actually drink (gathering the water with the underside of their tongues like a ladle and catching most of it in mid-air) it's amazing they get any in their mouths!

Wow that video is neat!! I never knew that's how they grabbed the water with their tongues.. neato :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow what a great video I always thought they used the top side of there tounge to drink...! While we are on the subject does anyones GR have a pattern? Shanks alsways drinks in 3's.. 3 gulps then a rest 3 gulps then another rest..

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maddie likes to blow bubbles in her water dish ... she ends up getting water all over the wall too lol
Abby my Lab does this sometimes. She will get her nose under the water and blow hard enough to blow bubbles and water everywhere.
Sydney my other Golden will dig in the water bowl sometimes and throw water everywhere. They all have their own things when it comes to making a mess and amusing themselves.

·
Classic Karma
451 Posts
All of my dogs have been water slobs and leave water all over the floor in my kitchen. Unfortunately, my 4 yr old daughter doesn't walk anywhere....she runs. The combination has led to many wipe outs on the kitchen floor!!

With my luck, our new pupper (who is coming home in 2 weeks...YEAH!!!) will also be a water slob so I think the idea of some sort of towel is a good idea. Has anyone ever tried a "Sham-Wow"? In theory, I think it might be a good solution....would soak up more than an average towel????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow what a great video I always thought they used the top side of there tounge to drink...! While we are on the subject does anyones GR have a pattern? Shanks alsways drinks in 3's.. 3 gulps then a rest 3 gulps then another rest..
YES!!!! I never thought to say anything about it but both Morgan and Casey do that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
All of my dogs have been water slobs and leave water all over the floor in my kitchen. Unfortunately, my 4 yr old daughter doesn't walk anywhere....she runs. The combination has led to many wipe outs on the kitchen floor!!

With my luck, our new pupper (who is coming home in 2 weeks...YEAH!!!) will also be a water slob so I think the idea of some sort of towel is a good idea. Has anyone ever tried a "Sham-Wow"? In theory, I think it might be a good solution....would soak up more than an average towel????
I seriously looked into Sham-Wow for just this purpose so I checked it out on this cool web site - http://www.onlineasseenontv.com/Default.asp?catid=0 which lists all the stuff "as seen on TV" but better yet has people giving their feedback. Apparently, Sham-Wow only works when it is damp or just wet to begin with so what's the purpose?

BTW I got the Peticure before I knew about this web site and both Morgan and Casey run away when I take it out. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Look at that face...
89 Posts
Sam is a total drinking slob. He trails water all over the floor, splashes, makes waves, etc....We all have learned to wear shoes. My poor toddler has slipped and fallen on the ceramic tile many times, even though we keep a towel under is bowls.

The worst part is the drool *in* the water bowl after he's done drinking. My toddler loves to play in the water and it grosses me out to forget to put up the dish and turn around and see him standing there sucking slobber water off of his fingers. :uhoh::yuck:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sam is a total drinking slob. He trails water all over the floor, splashes, makes waves, etc....We all have learned to wear shoes. My poor toddler has slipped and fallen on the ceramic tile many times, even though we keep a towel under is bowls.

The worst part is the drool *in* the water bowl after he's done drinking. My toddler loves to play in the water and it grosses me out to forget to put up the dish and turn around and see him standing there sucking slobber water off of his fingers. :uhoh::yuck:
I know. There's that "film" at the bottom of the bowl that I have to really swush around when I change their water. Once a day I totally clean the bowl because it grosses me out.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
All of my dogs prior to Finn have been neat freaks about drinking and eating. Of course, if you only take 13 seconds to clear a food bowl of the last crumb, it makes sense that you'd be tidy:) Finn, on the other hand, gets a mouthful of water and turns around to see what's going on in the world and most of that mouthful spills out onto the hardwoods. He also loves to put his chin in your lap when it's been buried in the water bowl.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts