Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the hospitals Tess and I go to, has really slippery vinyl floors. Not just in the patiënts rooms, but everywhere. I keep the hair between her toes really short, but she still struggles. Part of the problem is that she is very motivated, and just wants to move on to the next room. I do keep her next to me and walk slowly, but is there anything else I can do to help her?

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Geez

Geez

That is too bad. Other than buying Tess some sneakers, can't think of anything.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Karen, I thought about those things you can put on their feet in winter, but when I tried these last year, she hated them. Can't have a therapy dog rolling over the floor trying to get her socks of...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Have never tried these....so can not vouch.

Non Slip Pads for Dogs / Non-Slip Paw-Pads -- Orvis

Working on backing up in heel helped Liberty...if when walking in heel did not always mean going forward - sometimes we walk backward!!... (should add don't practice walking backward in a busy hospital or you might end up being a patient!)
Also learning how to walk for very long distances going very, very, very slow by slowly incrementally increasing the distance...

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
It seems like most of the vet clinics around here are the same way. I know they need an easy surface to keep clean and sanitized, but at least the bumpy linoleum or some sort of rubber or porous flooring I would think would be better. I have often wondered about that.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
You could put something sticky on her feet (tacky paw, hairspray, coke). But you would want to do it after you got inside the lobby. Otherwise the sticky feet will pick up all the dirt and debris from outside. That's why I don't use anything at dog shows even if my dog is slipping - it would just make them a magnet for all the dog hair on the floor.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Our local PetSmart is the same way - very slippery floors. Ben swims and slides across the floor. I think slowing down helps in dealing with it. He slides mostly when he is pulling out of excitement. When he slows down, we can walk easily.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Our local PetSmart is the same way - very slippery floors. Ben swims and slides across the floor. I think slowing down helps in dealing with it. He slides mostly when he is pulling out of excitement. When he slows down, we can walk easily.
Remy is just a puppy but he does the same thing at Petsmart. I asked a woman who worked there if it ever got any better... and she said that all dogs, young and old alike, slide around on the floors... she called it "entertainment" :p:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts