Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks, again, for all your responses! Parker is 18 months now and he doesn't have a very thick coat yet. At what age do they grow a full coat? I only use a slicker brush that I got from amazon. The brand name is Hertzko, not expensive at all but it does its job on Parker and I love how he looks and feels after a brush down. After reading all your messages I think I'll get a rake for his undercoat. Every 3-4 months he goes to the groomer where he gets a nice bath and she trims his butt feathers (we call them butt curtains in my house haha!) and fur between his toes. He tends to get mat behind his ears though. I use a comb and a slicker but the groomer does a much much better job. She's very nice, I'm so glad we found her!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
450 Posts
Usually lurking, I use a miller's forge slicker, but any slicker will do, doesn't have to be expensive (I lost my slicker once and picked up a cheapy from Wal-Mart that worked fine while I was searching for the lost one). If your dog is itching and has allergies, that could make him more sensitive to the brush. Just try not to brush in any one area too long, move on to another area and come back later if you have to. I can believe that there is tons of shedding because I've groomed MANY golden's with allergies and they loose a crazy ton of hair! A lot of times, they actually don't have much coat to begin with (probably because of the allergies?), and I wonder if I'll brush them completely naked!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Usually lurking, I use a miller's forge slicker, but any slicker will do, doesn't have to be expensive (I lost my slicker once and picked up a cheapy from Wal-Mart that worked fine while I was searching for the lost one). If your dog is itching and has allergies, that could make him more sensitive to the brush. Just try not to brush in any one area too long, move on to another area and come back later if you have to. I can believe that there is tons of shedding because I've groomed MANY golden's with allergies and they loose a crazy ton of hair! A lot of times, they actually don't have much coat to begin with (probably because of the allergies?), and I wonder if I'll brush them completely naked!
Between lack of coat, as Megora suggested, and the senstitive skin, that may explain why he doesn't care for the slicker. I don't brush one area very long with anything - except the cushion brush on his belly, just because he acts like he's getting a massage. I run the comb through all of his fur one time, twice a day, unless I am trimming or drying him. There's enough hair on my floors to make me wonder if I have three Goldens in my house.

·
Kate
20,607 Posts
Randomness...

I still kinda say that slickers are going to be your go to brush most of the time. Should get enough shedded hair out to be everything you need. And you don't need anything too expensive.

That said. :)

If you really have to get more complicated or if it makes you feel better to have a loaded tack box with brushes that do different things....

If I'm setting up to groom my dog - and that's everything, including a bath and blow out.

1. I do majority of the blow-drying with no brushes - I just let the forced hair from the dryer do all the work.

If I'm in a hurry, I will grab my pin brush. Mine is not a CC brush. I bought a $9 brush at a dog show that was not a brand name. However looks very similar to the CC brush, including the pins.

I will use the brush to back brush the coat so I'm getting down to the skin and blowing the moisture out. I blow the coat back the other way and back and forth until my dog is completely dry.

Pin brush IS used for feathers, trousers, and neck, because the softer and longer hairs will get tangled and knotted if you try blowing back and forth. You will just be blowing one direction and want to run a brush through to make sure you are getting the moisture out while drying.

Once the dog is completely dry, I will use a slicker to go over and smooth out any spots that are trying to flip out.

If I'm at home, I stop right there. Dog is bathed, dried, and done. <= I then move on to any trimming that needs to be done or the dogs get released off the table.

If showing though, I do use a finishing brush. This is a boar bristle brush. It smooths out the top coat and leaves a glossy finish. Same thing with the neck/ruff. <= Common sense reason to use that brush every once in a while at home is it smooths/distributes the dogs own natural oils all over. I also have products to put moisture back in the coat as well (if bathing every day).

If I'm "spoiling" my dogs at home or grooming a puppy who has no coat - I will pull that same brush out. They kinda glaze over while getting brushed. :)

You can buy a name brand boar brush that costs about $30-50. Or you can go to Sally's and pick up a $3-6 brush. The brush pictured was only $4. It's a boar brush, but it has soft metal bristles in there as well.

I used the comb in the pic to show how much loose hair comes off while using the boar brush. Not much and it's mostly top coat, so you would still need to use a slicker. Or whatever you are using to get the loose dead hair out.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
That's basically what I do, just with different tools. I'll use the cushion brush for feathers/chest, when drying, and the comb everywhere else. I'll give the slicker another shot when my pup has some coat again. In the meantime, I have not tried the boar brush, so I'll pick one up to use on occasion. He may like that, given that his coat is so thin on his back/sides right now.

·
Registered
458 Posts

That's the one that I use. The "reverse" cleaning action is much more effective than the traditional self-cleaning slickers for me, since one holds down the clean button while brushing; releasing it to move the accumulated hair/fur up to easily be wiped off. My conventional ones were not as easy when removing hair/fur from its "teeth".

21 - 31 of 31 Posts