Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna is our first puppy, shes almost 8 weeks old now. Shes only been home with us since Saturday afternoon, but we are completely in love with her! Shes such a sweetie! The last day or two, I've noticed that she is sleeping---a LOT. I don't know if its because we aren't trying to bug her as much (the first few days, I'm not gonna lie, I bugged the heck out of her I was so obsessed!) we've tried to get her used to just "being" around us while we do normal things. She seems to go off and find some spot to lay on and almost immediately dozes off. I know shes a baby, but she also spends quite a bit of time in her kennel while we are gone at work (9-1, then out at lunch with me, then back in at 2 til we get home from work around 5:15). I just feel like that is a lot of sleepiness!

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I've read about puppies being a little depressed a week or so after leaving home, but she seems to love us as much as we love her! Shes just so mellow!

This is my little workout buddy passed out last night :]

Attachments

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
It's normal, just like human babies, they sleep a lot.

Reactions: LNHaake

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Leaving mama, siblings, all known and loved humans, and all familiar places...all at the same time...is very hard on puppies, as it would be on us. One breeder here has observed that adoption day is the most stressful day in the average dog's life. And puppies sleep a lot.

Keep loving her and giving her toys to play with. Make sure she is eating well and doing her business regularly, and rush her to the vet if she is not.

Enjoy! (And post LOTS of pictures. :D )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaving mama, siblings, all known and loved humans, and all familiar places...all at the same time...is very hard on puppies, as it would be on us. One breeder here has observed that adoption day is the most stressful day in the average dog's life. And puppies sleep a lot.

Keep loving her and giving her toys to play with. Make sure she is eating well and doing her business regularly, and rush her to the vet if she is not.

Enjoy! (And post LOTS of pictures. :D )
yes she is doing well at everything else. i feel like a proud mamma of a golden baby genius! shes had zero accidents yesterday, and has even started to walk over and paw the door (only for #2, though so far)

thank you so much! i guess i just want her to wake up so we can play! the three day weekend is gonna be a blast with her!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Luna is a cutie! Sounds like she is being well cared for and loved. The behavior is normal from my experience. Murphy would sleep about 20 minutes every hour. So long as she is eating, drinking, has regular bowels and remains playful when she is awake I'd enjoy this while you can. Take a lot of pictures during this period....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts