Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

On Dec. 10 we got an 8 week old boy and he has been great. Quickly picked up potty training and now learning the bell training. Accidents are far and few between. The main problem were having and sleeping through the night.

So our typical routine is at 11 pm he goes in his crate and he does not fuss at all! Then around 2:30 he will wake up and cry, again usually around 5 or so. The times vary by night. If he wakes up and kinda whimpers we ignore him and he falls back asleep. But during those times he cries hard so we take him out and he will go #1 and #2 and when we put him back in he falls back asleep without crying. At 7:15 our alarm goes off and he is either awake or waking up with us and our day starts. -He's had 2 accidents in his crate since coming home and he gets angry so he quickly learned he didn't like that.

Does anyone have any advice for cutting out the twice a night potty breaks?
He does not get water past 8 PM. I know he has to go because he does and then doesn't cry when he goes back to his crate. Im not sure if were encouraging this routine by taking him out (were afraid of ignoring him and him having an accident, which is worse for both us and him). I am just not sure if this is normal or we should be working out of it and how to do that.

Best!

·
Registered
87 Posts
We went thru the same thing with Cooper ... 2 times a night for the first 4 wks ... 1 time a nite for the next 6 wks ... About 4-1/2 or 5 months old, he started making it thru the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Kristy
10,130 Posts
My puppies have always slept in a crate in my room. I've never had a puppy who had to go out in the middle of the night unless he was sick.

What schedule are you on for feeding? How much does he eat at each meal?

If you feed twice a day, last meal of the day fed about 4:30 or 5:00 and you go out with him to make sure he has pottied in the evening after eating, out with him to make sure he potties before bed at 11, it really should be unusual for him to not be sleeping through the night. I would make sure his crate is only big enough to turn around and lay down. Ignore him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. If he is really carrying on and having a fit after a good 10 or 15 minutes, absolutely go with your gut and take him out. But i would consider taking up the water just a little earlier, maybe even 7:00 and do your best to ignore the fussing in the night. It can really become a case of him training you to go outside whenever he wakes up if you're not careful. I understand the worry that you don't want to make him hold it if he can't but I do think he really is capable of sleeping 11-7 overnight by now. Hang in there, you'll get through this.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Since he goes when you take him out and falls asleep easily, I'd continue to suck it up and just do it consistently every time. I hate to think of a puppy having to "hold it" so I tend not to ignore their needs. It doesn't sound like he asking to play or for attention-- he just has to go.

My first dog slept through the night very quickly but my 2nd one took a little longer. His body eventually adjusted and he sleeps well now. I never restricted water with either of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi all!

On Dec. 10 we got an 8 week old boy and he has been great. Quickly picked up potty training and now learning the bell training. Accidents are far and few between. The main problem were having and sleeping through the night.

So our typical routine is at 11 pm he goes in his crate and he does not fuss at all! Then around 2:30 he will wake up and cry, again usually around 5 or so. The times vary by night. If he wakes up and kinda whimpers we ignore him and he falls back asleep. But during those times he cries hard so we take him out and he will go #1 and #2 and when we put him back in he falls back asleep without crying. At 7:15 our alarm goes off and he is either awake or waking up with us and our day starts. -He's had 2 accidents in his crate since coming home and he gets angry so he quickly learned he didn't like that.

Does anyone have any advice for cutting out the twice a night potty breaks?

He does not get water past 8 PM. I know he has to go because he does and then doesn't cry when he goes back to his crate. Im not sure if were encouraging this routine by taking him out (were afraid of ignoring him and him having an accident, which is worse for both us and him). I am just not sure if this is normal or we should be working out of it and how to do that.

Best!

At 8 weeks your pup has a small bladder and you should expect to have to take it out every 3 hours initially. He will quickly grow and develop the ability to control his bladder. Expect to get up a few times over the night for the first week or two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since he goes when you take him out and falls asleep easily, I'd continue to suck it up and just do it consistently every time. I hate to think of a puppy having to "hold it" so I tend not to ignore their needs. It doesn't sound like he asking to play or for attention-- he just has to go.

My first dog slept through the night very quickly but my 2nd one took a little longer. His body eventually adjusted and he sleeps well now. I never restricted water with either of them.
I completely agree with this. If he was waking you up because he wanted to play, he wouldn’t be going potty so quickly and he would make a fuss as soon as you put him back in the crate. It sounds like he just really has to go potty.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
That’s great news. Them getting up at night doesn’t last very long. Chloe slept until 4 am the very first night. Then as the week progressed it got longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a sticky article on here about how tough and never-ending the puppy phase might seem ... You blink, and those months have flown by ... You look at em, and wonder where that furry little goofball went ... Enjoy the puppy phase ... You'll turn around one day, and they'll be all grown up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts