Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new puppy hasn't taken to his crate at all. I still use it when I leave the house but at night it's crazy. With Leila it was a few days and then she was ok at night. Puppy doesn't EVER stop barking. He's in our room right by my bed, covered with blankets all around, little peanut butter kong, cozy little puppy mattress, frequent potty breaks. I don't get it. The first week I literally skipped two entire night's sleep trying to wait for him to tire out. Once I put him on the bed he's out like a light until 5 am. I feel like I shouldn't start this habit but it's the only way I'm able to get any sleep.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Once I put him on the bed he's out like a light until 5 am. I feel like I shouldn't start this habit but it's the only way I'm able to get any sleep.
Well, this is why the good Lord made us humans narrow at the legs so that our dogs have room on the bed. :)

I totally repect those who have decided that there will be no animals sleeping on the bed. I started that way too when I first brought furry ones into my home but it changed eventually. For a good 8 years I had 2 dogs and 3 cats sleeping in bed with me and they sure let me know if they felt I was taking up too much room. lol

Will he sleep on a carpet next to your bed? My adopted guy has a bed close to my bed that he likes but often times I find him sleeping on the carpet by my bed (bought a bigger carpet just because of this). I invite Cocasse into bed with me and he will stay for few minutes but then off he goes to his own bed.

Thanks for adopting your boy.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
That's the way I do it. I don't crate. They are with me right from the start.

I do keep a gate on the BR door to keep him contained and safe.

So the new puppy hasn't taken to his crate at all. I still use it when I leave the house but at night it's crazy. With Leila it was a few days and then she was ok at night. Puppy doesn't EVER stop barking. He's in our room right by my bed, covered with blankets all around, little peanut butter kong, cozy little puppy mattress, frequent potty breaks. I don't get it. The first week I literally skipped two entire night's sleep trying to wait for him to tire out. Once I put him on the bed he's out like a light until 5 am. I feel like I shouldn't start this habit but it's the only way I'm able to get any sleep.

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
With us for a while we let them sleep with us - with a baby gate at the door. When they get bigger - it becomes an invite thing at our house. If mom or dad says off - then it's off the bed and onto theirs (right next to our bed). It may not work for everyone but it has with us. We are on our 3rd golden boy training this way.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
I wish Sierra would sleep with us. She prefers to sleep in her crate. if she is extremely tired and has been asleep for a while when we go to bed I can take her out to go potty and then put her in my bed and she will sleep all night. If we are all going to bed at the same time she will snuggle for maybe 5 mins and then she wants down and in her crate. I am thinking about moving her crate in my rooms so she would at least be in there with us.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I never wanted Murphy to sleep in our bed, but DH gave in to his crying and before I knew it, I had no room, lol. He will be 4 months old tomorrow and I've noticed the last few nights he actually gets off the bed and goes to sleep in his crate. I certainly don't argue with him. I think it's all up to you whether you want the pup in bed with you. It's a personal choice but I don't see where it will actually do any harm.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I look forward to when Gable sleeps in the bed with me. I currently have him in the crate at nights and I am waiting until he has more of his obedience training so that he will be well behaved. Eventually, I plan on eliminating the crate all together as I want him to have free access to the entire house with a clear understanding of expectations and boundaries.

·
Kristy
9,950 Posts
With us for a while we let them sleep with us - with a baby gate at the door. When they get bigger - it becomes an invite thing at our house. If mom or dad says off - then it's off the bed and onto theirs (right next to our bed). It may not work for everyone but it has with us. We are on our 3rd golden boy training this way.

This worked with my first golden also.... He did start out in a crate but as he got older I spread a towel at the foot of the bed and he knew to stay on his towel... We also worked on the 'invitation only' method. It was at my whim and to be perfect honest, he did beautifully with it.

I am currently on day 3 with Duncan's first week home and I couldn't imagine how miserable I'd be if he reallydid cry all night. He went for a good 30 minutes last night at 4 a.m. after his potty break and I am pretty tired today, I am hoping to keep him up during the evening hours tonight. He quiets down pretty quickly going to bed, it's after the 3 a.m. potty break that he pitches such a fit when I stick him back in the crate.

Hang in there.... you'll figure out what is best for your little family :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the replies! I forget that it won't go exactly as it did with Leila. I can get him to sleep part on the night in his crate but the rest is in the bed which is actually fine with me. I just didn't know if giving in was starting some kind of bad habit. Y'all were so helpful. Thank you :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Murphy sleeps with me. The major upside to my long term boyfriend dumping me and moving out of our house has been that Murph and I both have enough room on the bed now!

He slept in his crate until he was about 5 months, then we started letting him up for cuddle time before bed, and then we started falling asleep with him there, and then our heat wasn't working so we started putting him under the covers to warm the bed up, and now he hasn't slept in his crate in awhile unless we are at someone else's house.

I think the big thing is just that once you start letting them sleep with you, it's very difficult to go back! You may want to start saving for a california king :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts