Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Four Calling Birds to all.... (Fourth day of Christmas and all...)

Do any of your adult Goldens still sleep in their crates? Joy is 10 months old, and she has always slept in her large Vari-Kennel. She practically runs into it at night and is asleep almost instantly! My husband says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I agree, but I can't help wishing sometimes that she were curled up on a cozy dog bed like our previous doggies! Silly, I guess.... applying "human comfort" ideas to a dog.

She is occasionally in the crate during the day - she spent three hours in it last Saturday during our Christmas party. If we go to the store or church or the museum, she just stays in the gated kitchen. I think we've made the crate a pretty happy place - a few weeks ago when we had some noisy kids over, she ran to her crate and curled up for a nap.

So, who else has a doggy that still sleeps in a crate at night? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
My dog slept in his crate his entire life. He loved it! It was his security. He would go in the crate for naps during the day and at night. And if there was a lot of chaos going on in the house with the kids, he headed right to the crate.

We will be getting a new puppy next year and I definitely plan on crate training.

Michele

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tucker slept in his crate every night until he was about 10 months old. We then let him start sleeping outside of his crate since we felt that we could trust him at night. He did great out of his crate and slept right in our room with us. He hasn't slept in it at night ever since. He will still occasionally go into his crate during the day for a short nap, but he never spends the night in it anymore. I feel that it's best to gradually wean them out of the crate at night as they get older, but the door on his crate is always open so he can go in it when he wants to.

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
My dogs (3) all switch on who sleeps in the crate and I occasionally consider adding at least one to my room. BUt throughout the night they do switch positions and there is usually one in the crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts