Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"GO TARHEELS!!!"
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've not had an opportunity to be on here very much lately and I really miss all-y'all!!!

I've got a quick question that may sound crazy, but here it goes: Can anyone recommend an 'over-the-counter' sleep aid for Mandy??? She hasn't been sleeping very good lately and "we'd" REALLY like for her to sleep so that WE can sleep!!!

We know that she sleeps too much during the day and this is probably why she won't sleep at night, but there isn't too much we can do about that as we both work and she is by herself all day.

At 13.5 years old, we are happy to just have her around, but would be even happier if we could get a full nights sleep.

Any constructive suggestions will be GReatly appreciated!!!

~tom

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds pretty unusual to me that a dog of that age isn't sleeping at night. Most dogs I've known that age can sleep all day and all night. I would suggest a trip to the vet to rule out a medical condition.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've not had an opportunity to be on here very much lately and I really miss all-y'all!!!

I've got a quick question that may sound crazy, but here it goes: Can anyone recommend an 'over-the-counter' sleep aid for Mandy??? She hasn't been sleeping very good lately and "we'd" REALLY like for her to sleep so that WE can sleep!!!

We know that she sleeps too much during the day and this is probably why she won't sleep at night, but there isn't too much we can do about that as we both work and she is by herself all day.

At 13.5 years old, we are happy to just have her around, but would be even happier if we could get a full nights sleep.

Any constructive suggestions will be GReatly appreciated!!!

~tom

Hi Tom, does Mandy seem to be in any pain? how does she act at night when she isnt sleeping that keeps you awake? i think a call to the vet would be the best. take care, D

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I agree with calling the vet. If she is restless and not sleeping at night, it could be because she is in some sort of pain or something else may be bothering her, especially at that age. I don't even know if there is such a thing as sleep aids for dogs. Even if there is, it's not something I would want to mess with. I would make an appointment with your vet to get a full exam and find out if there is some sort of medical condition causing her not to sleep.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
And tonight...as it doesn't sound like this is an emergency, maybe try having a night light on in her area. Senior dogs can get disoriented at night...and that's an easy thing to try that can help some. THere are a lot of senior cognition issues in dogs and this could be part of that.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If she hasn't had a recent exam by her vet, that's a great place to start. If all is well, melatonin can help with disrupted sleep schedules (and shouldn't have scary side effects). Maybe some benadryl would help get her to sleep too. Ask your vet for the dose if he/she thinks it might help.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
And tonight...as it doesn't sound like this is an emergency, maybe try having a night light on in her area. Senior dogs can get disoriented at night...and that's an easy thing to try that can help some. THere are a lot of senior cognition issues in dogs and this could be part of that.
wonder if older dogs suffer from Sundowners Syndrome like humans do?

·
"GO TARHEELS!!!"
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone who responded. Mandy was at the Vet about three weeks ago and was put on steroids for her degenerative myopathy. She is NOT in pain (according to the Vet and her disposition). The Vet stated that she might be getting disorienated at night (even though she sleeps between my wife and me). I'm thinking that maybe it is the steriods, but just thought I'd see what we could give her to help her sleep. Her "awake" activity consists of just panting very heavily (even though we keep it quite cool in the bedroom).
Oh well, we'll just live with it.
Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts