Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 7-year-old Golden, Chester, has several skin tumors right now. Two of them are pretty good size. He just had surgery to remove a large hard one on his neck a couple months ago. I just hate to put him through more surgery. He was not feeling well for a month after this last surgery. My question is whether anyone has had their vet use local anethesia on a fatty tumor?

Cheryl

·
Registered
77 Posts
I read about this on newsgroups dealing with boxers...
Sometimes they can't simply make a straight incision and remove the fatty tissue and sew it back up, but rather they have to remove the tumor along with the skin covering the tumor, and then do something similar to a skin graph from another portion of his skin to cover the area!!! I am positive this procedure requires local anethesia.

Well, tumors are not harmful in themselves, but they can grow to enormous size - even to a size of a softball!! So, some can really grow quite large and they are commonly removed if they interfere with movement or are in "tricky" places, like on the elbow or so.

From what I understand, they don't "grow back" but rather the dog grows new ones whether the old ones are gone or not.

Pepe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts