Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old Golden and he has developed about a 1 inch pink rash on his skin just above his eye, sort of like his eyebrow. The vet said it is just where his puppy coat is shedding off and his adult coat is coming in, and it can cause a skin irritation in some dogs and is pretty common. It does not seem to be painful, he doesn't even notice if you touch it, and he doesn't rub or scratch at it at all. He is shedding an awful lot right now. The vet said to just give him some allergy relief pills for a week or two and see how it goes, but it doesn't seem to be going away after a few weeks now.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any remedies you could recommend? He is on good quality food, his coat is very thick and soft and he is in good health otherwise.
Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

·
Kate
21,294 Posts
I've never heard of anything like that happening... from shedding. I don't quite buy that.....

It could well be a scrape or an allergy/hotspot. If a scrape - it should fill back in pretty quickly on its own.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
May be localized demodicosis. The vet should do a skin scraping to at least rule a few things out. If it was a scrape I would think it would have healed by now.

Reactions: GoldenTucker

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I took him back to the vets and this time she did a skin scraping on it and it turned out to be roundworm. Long story short he contracted it by coming into contact with another infected dog's owner. He's on the right meds now so hopefully it heals on up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts