Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we noticed cooper has been shedding a lot more since his last grooming and i noticed some scratching. I looked for any signs of bites from any bugs but found some irritated skin on his neck instead. I’m waiting on a call back from the vet to make an appointment but i was hoping i can find some home remedies as well while we wait. The skin is dry and seems to be itchy for him but thankfully there’s no empty hair patches, puss, or swelling. I have put vaseline on it for now and plan to give him claritine incase it’s allergies from something used at the groomers. i added photos for reference. (pictures don’t show redness but the spots are red) Any ideas on what it could be and what may help? :/

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
The pictures with the dark flakes-#3 & #4, could either be flea dirt which indicates he has or had fleas or just dirt.

You said the patches are redder than what they appear. While you're waiting for a call back or message from your Vet Clinic, one thing you can do is spray the area with Vetericyn.

I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, it works for minor cuts, scrapes, abrasions, etc.

My Vet Clinic uses it and recommended it. I originally bought my first bottle from the Clinic but have since bought it from Amazon. There are other online retailers that carry it and some Pet stores have it in stock.

Here is Vetericyn's website, they carry a variety of products. They're all pet safe and non toxic.

I use the wound care, also have a bottle of eye wash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pictures with the dark flakes-#3 & #4, could either be flea dirt which indicates he has or had fleas or just dirt.

You said the patches are redder than what they appear. While you're waiting for a call back or message from your Vet Clinic, one thing you can do is spray the area with Vetericyn.

I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, it works for minor cuts, scrapes, abrasions, etc.

My Vet Clinic uses it and recommended it. I originally bought my first bottle from the Clinic but have since bought it from Amazon. There are other online retailers that carry it and some Pet stores have it in stock.

Here is Vetericyn's website, they carry a variety of products. They're all pet safe and non toxic.

I use the wound care, also have a bottle of eye wash.

Because of the scratching i thought it might’ve been fleas or tick but can’t find ANY sign of them :-( Thank you for your input! I’ll buy a bottle of the Vetericyns!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
The Vetericyn products I have work really great, I really like the fact they are non toxic..... if your dog should lick it, you don't have to worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts