Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I'm abhiram, owner of LOUIS(1.4yrs old-GR) from INDIA. Since months he has been suffering with skin infection. I took him to the near by doctors and got him diagnosed. well the result of the diagnosis is ATOPIC DERMATITIS (superior pyoderma). :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:.
Although the doctors have prescribed medicines(life long) to control the infection and the allergy, I see no positive sides of the medications. I feel totally terrible and sad to see his situation. I had trimmed off his hair underneath a year ago cause of the red rashes which had to be treated with lotions. Now, like since past a week i see a small amounts of hair growing in patches. The whole 1 year he was on tonic for skin(salmon oil).
I just wanted to share this as i'm frustrated seeing his situation. He keeps itching himself most of the time. I try to stop it when ever possible. At the areas of itch, he has lost hair there.
Lastly, are there any dogs who have faced this situation?please let me know, it might build some hope for my guy.
finally are there any online vets that i can consult?
Thank you very much:smile2:

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Hello everyone!
I'm abhiram, owner of LOUIS(1.4yrs old-GR) from INDIA. Since months he has been suffering with skin infection. I took him to the near by doctors and got him diagnosed. well the result of the diagnosis is ATOPIC DERMATITIS (superior pyoderma). :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:.
Although the doctors have prescribed medicines(life long) to control the infection and the allergy, I see no positive sides of the medications. I feel totally terrible and sad to see his situation. I had trimmed off his hair underneath a year ago cause of the red rashes which had to be treated with lotions. Now, like since past a week i see a small amounts of hair growing in patches. The whole 1 year he was on tonic for skin(salmon oil).
I just wanted to share this as i'm frustrated seeing his situation. He keeps itching himself most of the time. I try to stop it when ever possible. At the areas of itch, he has lost hair there.
Lastly, are there any dogs who have faced this situation?please let me know, it might build some hope for my guy.
finally are there any online vets that i can consult?
Thank you very much:smile2:
Sorry to hear that you are having these skin issues with Louis.

Do you know what the cause/source of this infection may be? ie swimming in stagnant water, other?

Diet also can be a contributory factor. What are you feeding your pup?

Strengthening his immune system may also help as well as bathing him with an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear that you are having these skin issues with Louis.

Do you know what the cause/source of this infection may be? ie swimming in stagnant water, other?

Diet also can be a contributory factor. What are you feeding your pup?

Strengthening his immune system may also help as well as bathing him with an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo.
HIS CURRENT WEIGHT IS 29 Kgs.
I have a small garden in our house, during his puppy period he used to sit there. but then when started developing skin rashes we tried to avoid it. but it was late by then as he was infected with ring worm.Finally it lead to atopic dermatitis. He is a picky eater. He doesnt like the kibbles much. I have tried PEDIGREE, ROYAL CANIN(MAXI Jr.) and then switched to ROYAL CANIN(breed specific), that's when he started hesitating to eat kibbles. EVER since then he hates kibbles. I then switched to DROOLS FOCUS(Premium range) with a hope. He did enjoy it but then again started refusing it. Just now i bought ARDEN GRANGE (HYPOALLERGENIC FOOD). I hope he enjoys it.
He does come in contact with detergent-mixed water at times.
When it comes to bathing, i use PETHEX(anti fungal), BEAPHOR Anti itch and CHLORHEXIDINE 4% shampoo.
HE is TICK-FREE. I keep spraying antifungal lotions and anti itch sprays every now and then.
On a daily basis his intake is as follows:
1. 2x small bananas
2. Chapati(Indian wheat bread).
3. 1x Britannia Cheese cubes.
4. Curd Rice every night.
5. Glenand dog biscuits thrice a day.
6. Calcium & Vitamin chew-able Tabs and his prescribed medications.

The end. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.:smile2:

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
HIS CURRENT WEIGHT IS 29 Kgs.
I have a small garden in our house, during his puppy period he used to sit there. but then when started developing skin rashes we tried to avoid it. but it was late by then as he was infected with ring worm.Finally it lead to atopic dermatitis. He is a picky eater. He doesnt like the kibbles much. I have tried PEDIGREE, ROYAL CANIN(MAXI Jr.) and then switched to ROYAL CANIN(breed specific), that's when he started hesitating to eat kibbles. EVER since then he hates kibbles. I then switched to DROOLS FOCUS(Premium range) with a hope. He did enjoy it but then again started refusing it. Just now i bought ARDEN GRANGE (HYPOALLERGENIC FOOD). I hope he enjoys it.
He does come in contact with detergent-mixed water at times.
When it comes to bathing, i use PETHEX(anti fungal), BEAPHOR Anti itch and CHLORHEXIDINE 4% shampoo.
HE is TICK-FREE. I keep spraying antifungal lotions and anti itch sprays every now and then.
On a daily basis his intake is as follows:
1. 2x small bananas
2. Chapati(Indian wheat bread).
3. 1x Britannia Cheese cubes.
4. Curd Rice every night.
5. Glenand dog biscuits thrice a day.
6. Calcium & Vitamin chew-able Tabs and his prescribed medications.

The end. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.:smile2:
Similar to the "elimination diet", I'd suggest stopping numbers 1,2,3,4,5 above. And start to gradually introduce a grain-free, soy-free, corn-free dog food with a high-quality protein. What is his protein source now? If it's chicken, he may be allergic to chicken; some dogs are.

Once you feel he's getting better (may take 2-3 months), try introducing just ONE of numbers 1-5 above for a couple of weeks each. If he starts scratching with any of those foods, then he's allergic to that food, so you would need to stop giving him that particular food.

Hopefully other forum members will also have suggestions.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You said he comes in contact with detergent mixed water at times. Do not let this happen. His skin may be sensitive to the detergent. Also, if possible, find one shampoo that has both clorhexidene and an antifungal in it and shampoo him twice a week to start with, if at all possible. If not, then at least once a week. Make sure he gets completely dry after the bath. Damp hair is a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. Use your spray in between baths for stubborn areas. Hopefully you will see some improvement. Also make sure the ringworm is completely gone, and that he does not have any fleas. One flea bite can cause scratching, which can cause a skin infection, etc. That and the food change will hopefully help. Good luck with your boy.

Reactions: Wendy427

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Similar to the "elimination diet", I'd suggest stopping numbers 1,2,3,4,5 above. And start to gradually introduce a grain-free, soy-free, corn-free dog food with a high-quality protein. What is his protein source now? If it's chicken, he may be allergic to chicken; some dogs are.

Once you feel he's getting better (may take 2-3 months), try introducing just ONE of numbers 1-5 above for a couple of weeks each. If he starts scratching with any of those foods, then he's allergic to that food, so you would need to stop giving him that particular food.

Hopefully other forum members will also have suggestions.
Thank you for the suggestion. currently the only kibble diet he is on is ARDEN GRANGE(prestige), which i bought yesterday as its a hypoallergenic diet. plus he is on 2 tonics. one, ABSOLUTE SALMON OIL(company-DROOLS) and ABSOLUTE SKIN+COAT(company- DROOLS). His tablets as prescribed by the doctor are CYCLOSPORIN, CLYNDAMYCIN. he has lost alot of coat. his skin has turned black due to the repeated itching.

Thank you. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts