Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our year and a half year old broke a nail 7 weeks ago and it proceeded to get infected. The Vet did a culture and diagnosed MRSP which is an antibiotic-resistant strain. The Vet has prescribed Enrofloxacin and a couple disinfectant sprays. We have been on the antibiotics for a few weeks and are not seeing any improvement. It appears to be a growth underneath the nail and between the nail and the toe pad. Has anyone dealt with this or seen a similar issue? We are looking for any solutions possible!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Hello and welcome. I am so sorry pup is going through this. I believe this is the equivalent to human MRSA??? I would be cautious taking care of the wound and did you ask the vet if its contagious to other dogs/animals or humans? It may take a long time to see results since its antibiotic-resistant. Poor pup :( . Good luck.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,387 Posts
I feel for you and your dog, that has got to be painful.

Do you have access to a Vet School in your area?
I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion and Vet School clinics are really great, I've used them before when I was living in another State.

Or if your current Vet would give you a referral to a Specialty Clinic, I would take advantage of it.

Hope your dog's nail and paw will be doing much better soon.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
My bitch that got a thermal burn during her c-section also had MRSP-
her second and third cultures were negative, so the antibiotics worked...

it seems like a soak w epson salts in warm water a couple of times a day might be useful. Not with the MRSP but just in general for the nail.
it also seems like they should re-culture. It is entirely possible if they didn't culture from somewhere IN the nail that the MRSP might've been picked up on the way into the vet, lots of dogs there in and out I'm sure. MRSP isn't catching to humans but other dogs can catch it of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts